John Lewis and Samsung

Options
We bought a Samsung microwave from John Lewis in May.  By August one program started to spark and flame.
Sent an email to John Lewis, several weeks later their reply told us to contact Samsung.  Samsung arranged to have an engineer check our microwave.   They assured us that the engineer would be wearing full PPE - we have been isolating since March. 

The engineer arrived without any PPE and, did not take kindly to our reminder.  He eventually put a visor on, and refused to wear any other PPE.  Obviously this put at at risk of catching COVID19, not to mention the worry and anxiety for the next two weeks.

The engineer heated water in the microwave and told me it was working as it should, no fault with it at all.  I explained the problem was with one program.  He proceeded to take the microwave apart and put it back together again - leaving one piece on the floor.  He again told me the microwave was in good working order.

The report he sent to Samsung stated that the microwave had not been maintained correctly and had become un-repairable due to a build up of carbonized food and grease.

Both John Lewis and Samsung have refused any further help and are standing by this report.
Any suggestions? 

Comments

• dinglebert
    dinglebert Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Firstly  If you had concerns about letting someone in, why on earth did you let him in? 
    With regards to the microwave you are in a difficult place.  The blame is being put with you and unless you can prove differently then there isn't a lot to do.  Microwaves do spark if they get food and grease stuck in them if not cleaned properly.
  • Independent report from local appliance repair company followed by letter before action and small claims for full cost of the microwave (less than 6 months and 1 repair attempt undertaken so you are entitled to reject for a full refund) plus the cost of the report, should it find in your favour. 
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    If you didn't clean the microwave regularly and the report is accurate then I'm afraid you're a bit stuck.   If you think the report is inaccurate, commission your own inspection and take them to court.

Forget the PPE argument.  It adds nothing to your case.  If you weren't happy, you should have just asked him to leave and come back when properly prepared.
  • BARNEYHEN
    Options
    You're right, we shouldn't have let him in - hindsight. 

The microwave was cleaned according to the manufacturer's instructions.  Only one program sparks and flames, all other functions are working normally.   If the malfunction is due to a buildup of food and grease the microwave program would spark and flame.
    Our last microwave was 20 years old, it was still working well, but, we thought the upgrade would be in order as we are relying on ready meals during isolation. 

I think it might have to go to the small claims court, or maybe a refund from Visa.

I'm concerned about the safety aspects of this problem:
    Lack of PPE 
    A Dangerous appliance, sold by John Lewis and manufactured by Samsung.

Thanks for the suggestions. 
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    BARNEYHEN said:

The microwave was cleaned according to the manufacturer's instructions.  Only one program sparks and flames, all other functions are working normally.   If the malfunction is due to a buildup of food and grease the microwave program would spark and flame.
    Our last microwave was 20 years old, it was still working well, but, we thought the upgrade would be in order as we are relying on ready meals during isolation. 

I think it might have to go to the small claims court, or maybe a refund from Visa.

Lack of PPE 

You really need to get your own inspection, then.  Neither court not Visa will act in the current situation - the only expert report they have suggests user error.  You need something to counter that.  It's possible that build up of food and grease could cause different symptoms on different programs.

On the safety point, by all means lodge a complaint with Samsung about the conduct of their technician, but I suspect the appliance isn't dangerous.  If you think it is, stop using it immediately.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BARNEYHEN said:

Lack of PPE 

If you cleaned it did you dry it off and leave door open to let any moisture out?

What is the one programme that sparks and flames?

20 year old microwaves were better built than the Samsung / Malaysian made ones today.

You can go down the getting your own report route, that will cost you money.
    If the report concurs then the money is  lost.

Been there done it! with a Panasonic microwave made in China less than a year old. Took it eventually to recycling yard.

Would advise since you are still isolating since march?? and relying on ready meals, then just buy a better quality microwave.

Perhaps not moneysaving but in your position less hassle. 
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Don't get me started on John Lewis and Samsung microwaves. I bought one a few weeks ago and I'm on my third one. The quality of these microwaves is appalling and not a scratch on the old Samsung model I stupidly gave away at the start.

The first one arrived with a big air bubble under the film layer on the inside of the door which increased in size when using the microwave, it also wouldn't stand level on the worktop. Fortunately it didn't take much persuasion from JL to replace it. Within days of using the second one a knocking noise started when anything started to come to the boil but it didn't happen all the time, it took a couple of days of arguing my case that there was a fault until I finally showed them it would only happen when the turntable was running in a particular direction and with all different types of dish, they tried to persuade me that my dishes were too heavy and I should only use a plastic dish instead. Thankfully the last advisor I spoke too agreed that there was an issue and I agreed on giving it one last attempt.

The current (and last) one, whilst working so far, does have a few slight quality control issues, such as also not sitting level, even worse than the first one but I can live with it by putting a rubber mat underneath it. If this one goes I'm definitely not buying a Samsung microwave again.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    BARNEYHEN said:
    we have been isolating since March. 
    You really ought to speak with your Dr about ways you can get out more and live the life you have - no point being protected from COVID by spending over 9 months under house arrest.
    BARNEYHEN said:
    Only one program sparks and flames,
    Which programme is that?
    BARNEYHEN said:
    we are relying on ready meals during isolation. 
    Is it possible any of the containers comprise metal, even if they appear to be all paper / plastic?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback