2»

Replies

• edited 3 December 2020 at 4:51PM
    Jeepers_CreepersJeepers_Creepers Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 December 2020 at 4:51PM
    See where the arrow points in my pic below? Push the red ball down in to the water whilst watching what happens there. You'll see a nylon screw pressing on a 'button' on the inlet valve - that's what shuts off the water when the ball arm raises with the water level.

To adjust this, gently press the ball down to ease off pressure, and turn that screw anti-clockwise so's it backs away from the 'button'. (The screw will likely be prevented from turning by having a locknut on it, so slacken this off first).

Try a couple of full turns of the screw and see what difference that makes - you'll need to flush the loo for each test, and then let it refill fully each time - sometimes it can trickle for quite a while and you might not think much more water is coming in, but DO let it shut off fully before noting what the new water level is.

I have to say that I tend to tweak the level up above the guide line, because I hate toilets that don't flush perfectly in one go :-)

• twopennytwopenny Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks JeepersCreepers for your time to explain that. Quite clear & I'm really grateful. YouTube can only be general. I'll give it a fiddle tomorrow as I don't think I have the patience when I'm tired and I don't want to end up in a pickle into the evening. Sufficient unto the day and so on.
    I don't think it would take much more water. It's definitely better for the extra cleaning top and bottom of the pan. Wasn't dirty as such, just dried stuff from being left to dry out each year.
    Got to say I miss my 60yr old loo with an overhead flush. Much simpler and less fiddley but rarely a problem.

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• twopennytwopenny Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I've increased the amount of water by using the suggestion above but I cheated a little. I had someone come about some jobs and he just touched the back part and the level/ballcock rose. Otherwise I'm have had to plug in, log in and nip back and forth to read the forum.
    I've still got bits of toilet paper from the first go, it went and scraps came back but we'll see. I'll add an edit one way or another tomorrow.
    Many thanks for the advice everyone.

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well