Is this vented or unvented water cylinder?

Options
Hello,

moved into a house and I was under the impression that this is a vented system but in the old home manual it says it is unvented. It is vented, right? I am now doubting myself as I am not a plumber. Also, I want to find out which taps are under main for cold water, any idea how to do this? Will stopping the main feed work and putting the taps on? The ones which will not provide water will be fed by the main system? Thank you for any help!

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does it have a small header tank in the loft?
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Avalanche123
    Options
    There is a tank above it, large one. I dont know about another tank
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your picture is not very clear regarding pipework. a small header tank would confirm but I think it's vented.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Avalanche123
    Options
    Do you mean two water tanks in the loft?
    When I get home, I can take a different pictures of the pipework. 

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 November 2020 at 10:35AM
    Options
    If it's fed by a header tank rather than directly form the mains then it's a vented cylinder. Is the header tank in use or is it from a previous installation?
  • Avalanche123
    Options
    There is a water tank in a loft. This the original instalation and I believe the water tank feeds the cylinder. The cold water pipe comes from the loft space. 
    Asked my son to take some pictures
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 30 November 2020 at 11:22AM
    Options
    Alter_ego said:
    a small header tank would confirm but I think it's vented.
    A small tank is for heating. For a vented cylinder it's just a vent pipe over a big tank.

And that's the pipe on the photo at the very top of the cylinder. After a tee it splits into two pipes. One of them goes up to the loft as a vent pipe.

• nofoollikeold
    Options
    1. That is a vented hot water cylinder.
    2. The pipe coming out of the top is the hot water output.  The vertical part of the pipe above the cylinder will go into the loft and end up as an inverted "J" over the cold water storage cistern (big tank).  This is the vent.  
    3. As the water is heated, it expands, and the expansion goes up into the vent pipe.  Under normal circumstances that is all it does and the pipe handles the expansion.  If the water overheats, the water pushes up, into the "J" and down into the cold water cistern.  
  • Avalanche123
    Options
    Thank you very much! 
    I thought this can't be an unvented one. They normally have an expansion tank, right?
  • Avalanche123
    Options
    Any tips on how to find which taps are mains?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback