Getting a new roof and PIV considerations

Hi

I am seriously thinking about getting a PIV installed in my house. I also need a new roof, which I am trying to sort out at the moment. Is there anything I need to consider in terms of the roof that will mean the PIV is as effective as it can be? For example, I would imagine that for a PIV to work well, it needs adequate ventilation from the outside. Is this something I can depend on with any new roof, or should I be asking the roofer to ensure they use particular materials?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Replies

• EssexExileEssexExile Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would assume a ventilation system could vent through grills in the soffit. Of course it depends on your house, do you have soffits?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • tacpot12tacpot12 Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you need a new roof, you should investigate systems that allow the solar panels to installed as an integral part of the roof, like this: 
    GSE INTEGRATION - GSE IN-ROOF SYSTEM

The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • DJ123DJ123 Forumite
    26 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks both for your help! I've had a look, and it does appear that this house has soffits, so I guess that's a good place for ventilation. I guess it's a good question for the roofer!
  • fenwick458fenwick458 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the panels are as effective when they are sunk into a roof, they get too hot and can't cool down. for every degree over 30 degrees they loose 1% percent efficiency or something like that, and if theres no airflow behind them, then once the sun is out they will be red hot in 5 mins.
  • edited 30 November 2020 at 10:51AM
    DiddyDaviesDiddyDavies Forumite
    614 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 30 November 2020 at 10:51AM
    tacpot12 said:
    If you need a new roof, you should investigate systems that allow the solar panels to installed as an integral part of the roof, like this: 
    fenwick458 said:
    I don't think the panels are as effective when they are sunk into a roof, they get too hot and can't cool down.
    The OP hasn't stated that they are considering getting any solar panels fitted. What they are referring to is a PIV  (Positive Input Ventilation) which is something that draws in fresh air from outside  (normally via the loft space) and feeds it into the property.

• neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    19.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PIV example:

• tacpot12tacpot12 Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    tacpot12 said:
    fenwick458 said:
    I don't think the panels are as effective when they are sunk into a roof, they get too hot and can't cool down.
    The OP hasn't stated that they are considering getting any solar panels fitted. What they are referring to is a PIV  (Positive Input Ventilation) which is something that draws in fresh air from outside  (normally via the loft space) and feeds it into the property.

Sorry about that, I read PIV as PV! Oops. 
    I'm a big fan of PIV and MHRV in the right situations. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.