Stuck changing a lock

I've never changed a lock like this before and looked up Youtube videos that show it is super simple and quick. However, none of them show this extra metal thing I have circled in red in the photo. Is this different from a normal cylinder lock? It is on a new build door so is it something new? I have no idea why I can't get it out no matter where I position the key. Any tips or links to relevant videos would be very helpful.

Replies

• tacpot12tacpot12 Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It looks like an additional piece of armour/support for the lock to prevent it being snapped easily. It shouldn't be preventing the lock from being withdrawn. It might be binding on the lock though. I would put a squirt of WD40 on the outside of the lock cylinder, ideally from both sides of the door. 

The lock should withdraw easily enough when the bolt is removed from the side of the door, and the thumbturn rotated. Sometimes they do need a bit of a tug though.

If you haven't been able to withdraw the lock cylinder at all, you may not have rotated the lock to the correct point, it only needs turning very slightly. 

The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.