Leaking roof on recent property purchase

Hi all

Not holding much hope here but here goes
Bought a house a year ago with a survey (not structural)
Roof recently started leaking. The roof is only about 5 years old and was installed when the loft was converted.
Got a roofer out who was able to demonstrate that the roof was installed poorly and has been leaking for years. Basically the batons below tiles are supposed to be equidistant and these were not, so the tiles were nailed down all over the shop and generally not properly installed. 
Home insurance doesn't cover this
The company that did it dissolved in January 2020, after 13 years of work.
I assume now there is nothing I can do? No one to talk to at that company nor raise a CCJ against so I assume this is just something I have to chalk up to home ownership?

thanks
David

Replies

• BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lost cause 

Afraid there's nothing you can do
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.[
  • FreeBearFreeBear Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Browntoa said: Lost cause 
    And unless the guarantee was transferred to yourself (the OP), it would be down to the original owner to pursue the roofer in question. Chalk it as a learning experience and get the roof repaired.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • AskAskAskAsk Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    FreeBear said:
    And unless the guarantee was transferred to yourself (the OP), it would be down to the original owner to pursue the roofer in question. Chalk it as a learning experience and get the roof repaired.
    are you sure that a roof warranty does not go with the roof and not the owner?  when we sold our house, we sent the 10 year gurantee to the buyer' solicitors.  they never asked for the guarantee to be changed to the buyer's name.
  • Mutton_GeoffMutton_Geoff Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    DB2k said:
    I assume now there is nothing I can do? No one to talk to at that company nor raise a CCJ against so I assume this is just something I have to chalk up to home ownership?
    It's not something directly connected to home ownership but lack of detailed inspection prior to purchase, something you could have had done if you wanted. If the tiles were "nailed down all over the shop" then this would surely be visible to the naked eye? There are plenty of tiles that specifically require unequal spacing (Cotswold stone for example) and a batten plan has to be followed.
    You can't "raise a CCJ against anyone", a court does that if they don't pay if they lose a case. You'd have to get someone to court, prove your case and win then have them not pay before a court would then issue a CCJ.
    Personally, I'd get a second opinion. Decent trades don't feel the need to criticise others work to obtain their own.
    Signature on loan to someone else
  • DiddyDaviesDiddyDavies Forumite
    614 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    AskAsk said:
    FreeBear said:
    are you sure that a roof warranty does not go with the roof and not the owner?  when we sold our house, we sent the 10 year gurantee to the buyer' solicitors.  they never asked for the guarantee to be changed to the buyer's name.
    It's probably a case of some do, some don't as it will all depend on the specific terms stated in the warranty documentation (if there was any).
    However, unless the warranty was backed by a third party company, it's a bit of a moot point due to the roofer concerned no longer being in business.
    DB2k, do you have any warranty paperwork at all? something that might point in the direction of the cover being insurance backed?
  • DB2kDB2k Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    No paper work - that's part of the problem. 

Thanks all - didn't think it would go anywhere. Painful... 
  • greyteam1959greyteam1959 Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Before panicking I would be getting a second opinion.