fill hole around pipe

hello all, 
I am adding a new extractor fan to the kitchen and looking for some help on filling around the pipe. the instructors say to mortar it in but not a 100% sure how to do that. I have manage to fill the gap on the other side but that was a bigger hole. 
any tips or recommendions would be great. here is a photo to show the gap around pipe, the gap is about 2.9cm give or take

Replies

• tacpot12tacpot12 Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I normally fill the gap with expanding foam, then remove about 25mm from around the two outside faces and fill with mortar.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As above ....
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.[
  • Mickey666Mickey666 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    . . . Or rockwool-type insulation, or newspaper.  I’ve discovered both during renovations.  Builders seem to use whatever they have to hand.  As above, it’s only the final inch or so that gives the cosmetic finish.
  • grumblergrumbler Forumite
    54.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    IreneMot said:
    the instructors say to mortar it in but not a 100% sure how to do that.
    What are you going to do with mortar then? If it'll be covered with some decorative plate or even tiled over, then just expanding foam is fine without any mortar.

We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • IreneMotIreneMot Forumite
    16 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    thank you for help everyone and I have just put some foam into the gap today and all is good just waiting for it to set.