Messy redundancy process

Hi,
I hope you all well and safe :) It would be great if there’s someone with the knowledge, who would help me get better understanding of what companies can and can’t do during redundancy process because I’ve lost the plot and trust that mine is carried out properly.
So couple of weeks ago we were provided with the envo-pack informing us about the risk of redundancy, my position is gone and the new one will be created but I will have to apply for it. During first consultation meeting I was informed about the new role including duties and salary and I was asked to think about it.
On the second consultation I’ve decided I will not apply for it therefore manager confirmed I will be made redundant. She also confirmed my redundancy pack which will include payment in lieu of notice and payment for remaining accrued holidays. She said the final date of consultations and my last day with the company will be 11th of December and I’ve agreed with it. Redundancy package seemed fair, better actually than job they offered for someone in my situation. So I’ve based my decision on the information they have provided. Two days ago I’ve rang and asked if I have to come to work on 3rd as retail opens again and she said yes, from 3/12 to 11/12 business as normal and then that’s it for you. Now she rang me yesterday saying that company will potentially ask me to work my notice? Because the businesses needs.... This is not what she obviously confirmed to me while I was making the decision, in my envo pack says “payment in lieu of notice” will be made and if you won’t apply for the role you will leave the business after 30 days of consultations. I’m not happy about it, I’m currently during interview process and I’ve gave my new potential employer my availability date from 12/12.

As I want to seek legal advice I’ve asked her for my consultation notes up to date but she refused because “she’s not allowed to give them to me”, when I asked her who I can speak about it directly as I don’t agree with this change she said “she doesn’t know and area manager is on holiday now”.

I’m not sure if they’re allowed to do that?
Getting the redundancy letter was stressful enough, it took me 3 weeks to come around it and accept my new reality but this feels like slap in the face.
They restricting my chance for the potential employment and messing up with my well-being and future.
If I will get new job on the table (more likely I will) my new boss won’t wait for me for 6 weeks.
Could someone please advise on what to do? 
I can’t help but feel like I was lied to during this consultations.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have you a definite job offer from the potential new employer? If so, could you negotiate a mutually acceptable leaving date with your current employer, but if so expect to have to make a financial compromise.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Does you new potential employer want you to start on the 12/12?  Often employers are happy to wait until the New Year.  Then they've no need to pay for holiday leave over the Xmas/New Year break. 
  • Have you a definite job offer from the potential new employer? If so, could you negotiate a mutually acceptable leaving date with your current employer, but if so expect to have to make a financial compromise.
    I do, unfortunately my current employer pushed the decision to the area manager but he claims store is understaffed so hence why...
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This is going to sound a bit odd, but here goes.

Unless there is a PILON clause in your employment contract, your employer would be in breach of contract by offering you PILON. So if there is no PILON clause, your employer is actually doing the correct thing by making you work your notice 
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback