Lodging/ renting rooms

Options
I currently private rent and the landlord is selling up. My friend has a 3 bed council house and has offered for me and my son to rent the spare 2 bedrooms. I was just wondering how this would work in regards to me informing UC to see If i am entitled to any help towards the total cost of the rent as i only work part-time and i am not going to be financially linked in anyway to my friend. Thanks in advance 😀

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Provided you have a formal arrangement you can get help with rent as a lodger.
    Whether your friend is allowed to let the rooms to you under the terms of his tenancy will be another matter.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jonesy8410
    Options
    Would the council provide me with a copy of their tenancy under their name? As i am assuming UC will want some kind of proof of residency to pay the housing element in my claim. Thanks
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Would the council provide me with a copy of their tenancy under their name?
    You can't do that and claim for help with the rent because their tenancy is in their name. You need a lodgers agreement from your friend but your friend needs to check their tenancy agreement to see if having a lodger is allowed, if it isn't then you won't be able to lodge there.
  • jonesy8410
    Options
    Thanks for your help. Much appreciated 
  • ElephantBoy57
    ElephantBoy57 Posts: 799 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 27 November 2020 at 10:09AM
    Options
    Would the council provide me with a copy of their tenancy under their name? As i am assuming UC will want some kind of proof of residency to pay the housing element in my claim. Thanks
    Being the tenant of a house gives you many protected rights. As a lodger you could be evicted within days/weeks for various reasons.
    The owner only needs to give you reasonable notice, depending on the contract, that could be a week or a month.

• gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 27 November 2020 at 10:40AM
    Options
    You would be much more secure if you achieved a social tenancy of your own. Are you registered with the council? 
    Dependent on where you are in the country and demand on housing you might need to wait for eviction to be placed in temporary acconnodation prior to being allocated housing. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback