Hard/Soft Credit Search for Virgin Money Current Account

SJshah
SJshah Posts: 140 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
edited 26 November 2020 at 11:12AM in Budgeting & bank accounts
I'd like to apply for the Virgin Money current account to take advantage of their switch deal and to get the 2.02% interest rate on £1k.

I will not be requesting an overdraft so I would expect them to only do a "soft search" for identification checks. I don't want to apply if they will conduct a hard credit search.

Can anyone please confirm what they do with credit searches on current accounts.

Thank you
"Real knowledge is knowing the extent of one's ignorance."

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 26 November 2020 at 11:40AM
    Soft search on credit karma and Clearscore, but I've been with them for several years.

Experian is hard check
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    SJshah said:
    I'd like to apply for the Virgin Money current account to take advantage of their switch deal and to get the 2.02% interest rate on £1k.

I will not be requesting an overdraft so I would expect them to only do a "soft search" for identification checks. I don't want to apply if they will conduct a hard credit search.

Can anyone please confirm what they do with credit searches on current accounts.

Thank you
    Soft search on TransUnion. Hard search on Experian.
  • SJshah said:

Thank you

It will be a hard search when I applied they did a soft search on Trans Union (Credit Karma)  and a hard search on Experian.
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both. :cool:
  • SJshah
    Thanks all for the replies. That answers my question perfectly :blush:

I'll avoid this switching deal, it's not worth the hard Experian credit search hit for me.
  • SJshah
    SJshah said:

I'll avoid this switching deal, it's not worth the hard Experian credit search hit for me.
    A current account 'hard' search will have negligible, if any, impact*. Everyone changes current account at some point or other...after all, the industry encourages it!

I've previously had approaching 20 current account searches in a 3-4 month period, and still opened 4 credit cards during that same time frame.

* With one possible exception...you switch your one and only long held current account.
    I've done the same in the past when collecting several switch offers - none of the banks (except Natwest) did a "hard" search since I never applied for the overdraft facility. I'm being more cautious ATM as I have a re-mortgage application due, though as you say a "current account" search probably won't make a difference on mortgage applications.

I might as well go for it and grab the free wine  o:)
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 November 2020 at 8:52PM
    I apply of current accounts all the time (over a 15 so far this year) and I never ask for an overdraft when applying for current accounts but just about all banks carry out a hard search. However, only Experian shows a complete-ish search history. I have no idea why the others don't, and I also have no idea which of the CRAs a given bank uses to check. All I know is what I can see on my credit agency reports:

CreditKarma: shows just a couple of searches - TSB, BoS, not VM, and not the many others I have opened accounts with this year. CreditKarma has VM/Clydesdale as soft searches.

Experian: shows many searches - TSB, RBS, Natwest, Ulster, and also VM under their Clydesdale Bank / Clydesdale Bank plc alias

Equifax: shows a few: Ulster, RBS, Natwest, Metro

As has already been mentioned, the occasional search for a current account application doesn't really matter though. If, on the other hand, you take it to the extreme as I do, you have to accept some limitations. For instance, I would currently only be accepted for "credit score building" credit cards now, such as the ones from Aqua. I would probably also find it difficult to get accepted for a loan or a mortgage for as long as these searches show on any of the CRAs. As I don't want/need any of these, it doesn't matter how many hard searches I have. Also, my current account applications are still being accepted.- only did another succesful one this afternoon.
  • adamp87
    adamp87 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Out of interest I thought searches for current accounts only stay for a year? I’ve still got 1 showing from about 15 months now on my file
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Experian seem to keep them for “just over 2 years”. I haven’t checked the policy of the other two
  • SJshah said:

What is the "hit" you are talking about? The mythical score by any chance?
    Losing a bonus / savings rate seems a bit daft if you're doing it because of a wish not to have a change on a number only you see - I can't see any threads by you about moving home for example which a proper search might be more of a concern for
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback