Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

BT Black Friday deal + gift card

Good evening, I am exchanging and completing next week (hopefully). I have already ordered the fibre broadband with BT, but in order to get a £100 gift card, I could only order a fibre broadband deal which comes with a landline.
My question is, will the broadband work if I choose not to connect the landline? I won’t use it at all as I have unlimited data and calls on my mobile, plus the plan on the landline is “pay as you go”, so I assume I won’t be charged for not using it?

Replies

• Yahoo_MailYahoo_Mail Forumite
    624 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    You won't be charged for anything if you don't use the landline for calls, no.  But you really shouldn't be ordering services for an address that you don't own or rent.
  • Lorenzo94Lorenzo94 Forumite
    140 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I’m exchanging and competing next week. And the order is scheduled to be delivered two weeks after completion (in case it gets delayed)
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    18.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The landline has to be connected to get broadband down it .
    The phone does not have to be used .
    But you will still pay the line rental .
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lorenzo94 said:
    I’m exchanging and competing next week. And the order is scheduled to be delivered two weeks after completion (in case it gets delayed)
    You do realise that Openreach who are responsible for the disconnection /reconnection are a law unto themselves re dates ?? They could well disconnect your vendor BEFORE completion - not sure they would be happy to be cut off especially if there are last minute delays to the sale. Also they may not be cancelling their connection until completion date so if they get notification from their ISP in advance they may well stop YOUR order !!
  • Lorenzo94Lorenzo94 Forumite
    140 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Lorenzo94 said:
    You do realise that Openreach who are responsible for the disconnection /reconnection are a law unto themselves re dates ?? They could well disconnect your vendor BEFORE completion - not sure they would be happy to be cut off especially if there are last minute delays to the sale. Also they may not be cancelling their connection until completion date so if they get notification from their ISP in advance they may well stop YOUR order !!
    It’s a new build flat, hence I will be the first occupier. Also I have received an email from BT saying they will schedule delivery for the day before the line will start. Would this still be an issue?
  • Yahoo_MailYahoo_Mail Forumite
    624 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Lorenzo94 said:
    Lorenzo94 said:
    It’s a new build flat, hence I will be the first occupier. Also I have received an email from BT saying they will schedule delivery for the day before the line will start. Would this still be an issue?
    Ultimately you still shouldn't be signing up for services in a property that you don't own/rent.  It's less of an issue if it is a new build, as there won't be an occupier to receive a notice that their broadband supplier is being switched that they would be unaware of.  But even then, what if it falls through before exchange?  You only have a 14-day cooling-off period before you're on the hook for various charges.  What if you can't get access to the property to accept delivery or let the engineer in if they need access?  Not a risk I'd take personally but up to you at the end of the day.