Redundancy payment timing - unreasonable?

I’ve been made redundant currently working my notice. I’ve got another job starting on the 1st Dec. I asked my current employer to leave early, which “went up” to be approved by the business unit. Bear with me I’m getting there. Today I got paid my usual salary on the regular payment date. I thought I would have got my redundancy payment + salary with adjusted holiday. I made an enquiry with the HR dept who’ve told me I will get the redundancy and holiday pay in the next payroll on the 22nd Dec.

Thoughts?. I’ve never been made redundant before so it’s all new.

Steve.

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    What is the notice period?
    Did you issue counter notice or just ask to leave early?
    Did they approve leaving early and still pay the redundancy payment?

Depending when the pay periods, pay days and cutoff dates are not unreasonable for it to be the net payroll after leaving when getting made redundant.

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    When did you give notice? 
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,740
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you are confident the company has the funds to make the redundancy payments then it is probably worth just waiting it out.  There can be all sorts of reasons why companies want to spread the payments over a period of time, especially in these uncertain times.

My wife was made redundant this summer, and the company spread the payments over a series of months (to maximise the amount paid by the Government through furlough).  That seems an incorrect use of furlough but, ultimately, my wife got the same amount of money so why make any fuss?

Even in more normal times, while I would expect companies want to just get the "hit" over with, I was made redundant in December 2015 and the company wanted to make the payment spread over 4 months from April 2016, so it landed in the following FY.  All seems odd, and should not really make any difference from an accounting perspective as the liabilities shoudl be accrued in the current FY, but companies do what companies do and manage to get away with it.

If you will get the money within a month, best not to rock the boat.
  • El_Torro
    El_Torro Posts: 1,451
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If your employer knows you’re leaving early to start a new job they might try to argue that you don’t need a redundancy pay off. As mentioned by other posters I’d just be thankful you’re still getting it and wait a month for it.
  • It’s quite normal to be paid redundancy and accrued holiday on the pay date  after the employment ends.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback