British Gas reading meters during lockdown ?

November2
November2 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Just had BG on the doorstep asking to come in and read the meters, the guy actually pulled down his mask when he spoke standing barely 2 foot away!   Told him I always submit the readings online and no he couldn't come in, he then said even if I'd sent them in he had to check them anyway.  I refused to let him in as my parents are in their 80's and shielding.   I thought the energy companies had suspended meter readings during lockdown?

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In the criteria for what field agents are and are not doing currently mine says reads are still going ahead (of course these are not the BG agents but theirs may take the same path). The reads still being done were outsided boxes or must be reads (no actual phyical read in the last year (possibly 2 for BG)).

As always you are free to refuse, the supplier is of course allowed to get a warrant of entry. Of course none will in the current climate. The field agent may be upset as they might get paid less for a failed attempt.
  • imeach
    imeach Posts: 158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Meter readings are still being carried out for all suppliers I am aware of, both inside and out.
    Obviously the meter readers will be following guidelines, and should be asking if anybody in the house has symptoms or is shielding, and if the homeowner is happy for them to continue. They are probably only in the house less than a minute.
    The current lockdown was more of a social one, and meter readers can't really work from home😀
    Meter readings were suspended during the first full lockdown and then outside only from June 22nd, gradually after that suppliers agreed to go back inside where homeowners were happy.
    And it is also the "safety inspection" of the meters as well as taking the reads. Be surprised how you can smell gas as soon as you go in somewhere (with masks on), and they tell you that they have smelt that for a while!

Meter readers can sometimes be the only person some people see for a while, even more so during current times, and it's nice to have a little (socially distanced) chat
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    it's nice to have a little (socially distanced) chat
    And surely that is the point - physical distancing.  They should knock & step back 2 meters with ID at the ready, removing their mask only so you can see that their ID is actually them.  Tell the resident what is going on & give them time to accommodate their request whilst keeping their distance.  Meter reader less "aware" than milkman touting for business, Amazon delivery guy & my gardener.
    My gardener knocks on my window & retreats.  I open window & confirm how much.  I place money on window ledge & retreat.  He picks up money using hanky or similar & retreats.  We chat for a few minutes.  He goes home & puts cash in the freezer.  The last person to knock on my door & not back off got told to do just that, through a closed door & the next one will be told exactly the same.  Why do charity collectors think they are exempt?
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    badmemory said:
    My gardener knocks on my window & retreats.  I open window & confirm how much.  I place money on window ledge & retreat.  He picks up money using hanky or similar & retreats.  We chat for a few minutes.  He goes home & puts cash in the freezer.  ....
    Well, I suppose we have the government's Project Fear for that sort of insanity.   Does he know that the virus survives better at lower temperatures?!!

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    The freezer was an assumption - maybe he sticks it under the hot tap.  The point is I feel safe & he reassures me I am safe & feels safe himself.  Neither of us are teenagers who feel invincible.  Amazon delivery guy does the same, knocks leaves parcel on the step & retreats, waits for the door to open & me to say thank you or to say I am not expecting anything what is the address on the parcel, you've got the wrong address you should be over there.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback