What's it like having and earning loads of money??

Options
Flatulentoldgoat
Flatulentoldgoat Posts: 304 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 30 November 2020 at 9:44AM in Employment, jobseeking & training
One of my friends has been bragging about how he just got a job paying £45k! He's only 19 and has been going crazy posting all this stuff he can now afford, it's like he won the lottery. Wow. To be fair I think hes spending a lot on his girlfriend and she's not really worked much before. Neither me or my social group can really fathom making so much, everyone I know is either on minimum wage or around 18-20k per year (full time)

It must be amazing earning that much, I'd probably spend it all on clothes or something.

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,520 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    45k isn't a huge amount, but it sounds as if your friend may be spending beyond even his higher income.  It's certainly better to have and earn good money than to be skint, but it isn't the answer to everything.
  • AskAsk
    AskAsk Posts: 2,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    if you have a lot of money, it just makes life easier.  however, a lot of people work a lot harder to earn more money so they sacrifice their time to get the higher salary.
  • John_
    John_ Posts: 925 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    One of my friends has been bragging about how he just got a job paying £45k! He's been going crazy posting all this stuff he can now afford, it's like he won the lottery. Wow. To be fair I think hes spending a lot on his girlfriend and she's not really worked much before. Neither me or my social group can really fathom making so much, everyone I know is either on minimum wage or around 18-20k per year (full time)

It must be amazing earning that much, I'd probably spend it all on clothes or something.
    My first job in banking paid what would now be £70,000 per year. I was 25 when I started, and it went rapidly up from there, and now, twenty-something years on it’s a lot more.

How is it? Well, I’m sitting here having my Tesco meal-deal, rather than making my own lunch, I’m having it in a nice house, that’s warm and dry, and the nanny is giving my children their lunch, as I’m working.

In most respects my life is the same way it was when I didn’t earn much money. The big difference is that it’s a choice to keep working, not a necessity.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Earning a fair chunk allowed me to stop working this year.  I stopped in the summer for what I planned as a 3 - 6 month career break, I love it so much I'm not looking for another job yet - I will next year.....maybe.  I'm volunteering for 3 places so doing around 30-35 hours a week, but the time of 11+ hours days are long gone.  
    My husband is in a job he absolutely loves and earns around 4x what I did, but he loves it and doesn't want to give it up just yet.  He has the flexibility to have as much time off as he wants, so if we have a nice summer he can take extended leave etc.
    I have never been one to strive for something a friend has, so a friend saying they earn x amount wouldn't mean anything to me. I also have never longed for the flash car or most uptodate phone.  We live well within our means, saving 3/4 of our income even with me not working, but still don't live extravagantly.  I recon the neighbours would get a shock if we parked a flash car on the drive and think we'd won the lottery not used savings....  It sounds daft, but we are just 'happy', yes we could have more or do more, but we are content.  We do love our holidays though - and if we had the choice of rooms would always take the upgraded suite.  But other than that you'd never know what we earned or how much we had.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Potbellypig
    Options
    Whether you have too much money or not enough, it always causes problems. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback