Is this misconduct?

Options
Do you agree that the following is out of order?  What would you do about it?
A customer complained at work about an issue.  Originally I dealt with the issue so my manager explained to me the customer's complaint (it had nothing to do with me but rather one of the company's products).  He asked me to draft an email to the customer.  I did so although I knew it would be largely pointless because he always rewrites my emails.  Today I have reasonably grounds for suspecting he somehow sent the email from my mail address to the customer without my knowledge or consent.  Do people agree this misconduct?  Hopefully tomorrow I will get to the bottom of it.

Comments

• ssparks2003
    Options
    You suspect, you don't know. So at this point throwing round claims without proof may well see you being investigated for misconduct 
  • AskAsk
    AskAsk Posts: 2,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    your employer has access to your emails, so not out of order at all.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 November 2020 at 10:06PM
    Options
    rossm6 said:
    Do you agree that the following is out of order?  What would you do about it?
    A customer complained at work about an issue.  Originally I dealt with the issue so my manager explained to me the customer's complaint (it had nothing to do with me but rather one of the company's products).  He asked me to draft an email to the customer.  I did so although I knew it would be largely pointless because he always rewrites my emails.  Today I have reasonably grounds for suspecting he somehow sent the email from my mail address to the customer without my knowledge or consent.  Do people agree this misconduct?  Hopefully tomorrow I will get to the bottom of it.
    So what? If you drafted it and you'd already been dealing with the issue, it is a bit discourteous but don't blow it up into some mega event. Why would your 'consent' to send an e-mail you'd written be needed?
  • KatrinaWaves
    Options
    He’s your boss. My managers have full access to my work emails if they wanted, including sending an email if they chose. It’s not misconduct. 
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Appears that your manager is happy for you to deal with the issue. Take it as a compliment in your abilities. Not least that your manager trusts you. 
  • SweetPotatoPie
    Options
    This is confusing - do you not have a password for your email account at work?? Are you saying that he has logged into your account and sent an email from your email? 
    Either way, he’s the boss. Wouldn’t be worth bringing up. 
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    How did they complain originally...eg did they send an email to a generic email address?

the only issue I can think of is that if the customer did receive an email from your email address they now have your email address so can contact you directly which is more of a pita issue than anything else.

why are you so worked up about it?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 November 2020 at 11:10PM
    Options
    If this happened in my workplace where everyone signs in using their own password, and only we ourselves have access to our own email accounts - it would be Gross Misconduct to send an email from someone else's account. (For example, if someone left their computer unlocked).
    The person who has left their computer unlocked could also be in trouble for not following the security policy and requirement, to always lock your computer when away from it.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,533 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    It's not uncommon for managers to have access to the e-mail accounts of their staff.  As others have said, the OP was dealing with the customer so it makes perfect sense for the e-mail to be sent in their name.  The only thing I would fault the manager for is not letting the OP know what they had done.
  • oh_really
    Options
    Snowflake.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family