Advice re private sale

Options

Private sale .. short version.

Sold laptop on gumtree, item was like new as was only 2 months old and only used for a week but wasn’t much use for what we needed it for work. 

Couldn’t send back as threw all box and bits away. 

Someone messaged to buy it said be here in half hour, turned up came in looked at laptop I turned it on and showed it was fully working in excellent condition. I put it back in a box with some of that giant air  bubble wrap stuff. 

They took it away happily, next day claiming laptop is damaged and that it was actually his friend who collected item not himself. 

Now he is saying he wants money back. I said he’s not having money back as it was looked at and checked it was working and excellent condition before he left.

Now he’s sending messages and turning up at my house trying to get his money. 

I’m assuming as they came and inspected item before leaving they can’t demand money back? 

Stupidly yes I let them collect from my house! Lesson learned won’t be doing that again. 

Thank you. 

Comments

• cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm assuming they paid cash on collection? In allowing collection with cash payment, you actually did the right thing! 
    With cash on collection you don't have to refund. As you say, buyer was able to check item over first before taking item away. It's obviously a chancer, ignore them completely if you can, or tell then you'll report them to police for harrasment & do this if necessary.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Rublcha
    Options
    Thank you, yes they paid cash when they collected.  They had a good 5 or so minutes with the item. 
    I’ve just been ignoring messages since yesterday. But will report if they keep turning up at house. 

Thank you. 

• If it's a private sale then the goods should only match the description. 

What is the damage the buyer is claiming? As they inspected it they can't claim that there is a smashed screen or broken hinge for example as it would have been obvious. 

If it's something small that may have not been noticeable then it would depend on the exact wording of the advert. 
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A private sale for cash leaves you safe, it is buyer beware and as buyer (or his representative) checked and paid for the item they don’t have any real rights. If the buyer starts to worry you with harassment or calls to any serious extent report them to the police. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Rublcha
    Options
    If it's a private sale then the goods should only match the description. 

What is the damage the buyer is claiming? As they inspected it they can't claim that there is a smashed screen or broken hinge for example as it would have been obvious. 

If it's something small that may have not been noticeable then it would depend on the exact wording of the advert. 
    Not small damage and very obvious deep scratches to the lid and side and a dent on one of the side. Like it had been dropped on the floor outside. 

I’m hoping they won’t turn up at house again if I carry on ignoring them but will report if they do. 
  • In that case follow Soolin's advice above :) 
  • Rublcha
    Options
    Great, thank you for your help all :) 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family