HSBC tree? is it me!

Options
Hi,
I am hoping someone may be able to reassure me.
I used my HSBC mobile banking app (android version) on Friday, and all was as usual with the familiar tree on the loading screen.
This morning, the tree has vanished and the first (loading) screen is now a large black "Welcome" over an extended HSBC logo....which I have to say makes it look like gnashing teeth!

Can anyone confirm that HSBC screen have indeed changed the "tree"?  I am concerned about app hacking and therefore cannot log in to check as it means entering my secure key.
Thank you

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am on the latest HSBC version and see the tree. Reboot your phone?
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I am seeing the "gnashing teeth" welcome over the HSBC logo and there is no tree on Android.

However, I never log in on my mobile as I can only register on one device and I have my token registered on my tablet.
  • nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 23 November 2020 at 2:38PM
    Options
    What type of account do you have?  I believe the screens (once registered to your account) vary depending on standard vs advance vs premier vs "I have my own island" gradings?
    Not sure its worth mentioning, but I see the tree (very briefly) on my iphone.  If they were changing their branding, I'd expect HSBC to update iphone first, as thats been their historical behaviour.
    Note also - there are two apps.  HSBC and HSBC UK.
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • HitTheRoad
    Options
    Thank you for the reply, although it leaves me more concerned.
    I have re-started the phone twice, and run a scan (it runs BT Protect McAfee). Everything else seems fine.
    Can an app be hacked and loading screen altered?

Frust4atingly, I cannot log in online to check because that login route requires generating a security code on my phone, which requires me entering the pass key.
    Help!!

• HitTheRoad
    Options
    RG2015 ...posts crossed!
    So it isn't just me?
    That is a huge relief (assuming you have not also been hacked!).
    Thank you
  • HitTheRoad
    Options
    Peter....its just a standard current account, and the app has been loaded since I swapped to this phone last year.....worked perfectly on Friday, and may well work perfectly now if I am brave enough to try it.
    I may wait to see if anyone else comments, confirming the change.

I do agree that it is an odd branding change, and not particularly welcoming....definitely resembles gnashing teeth.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are the triangles what you refer to as gnashing teeth? It‘s what I see when logging into my HSBC app. I have a number of accounts with them, incl an Advance current account. IIRC, this has always been the first screen the app loads.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yes, it is the six triangles with a large WELCOME over the top instead of the tree. Also, the four coloured triangles are bright red instead of pink. I tried to take a screenshot but either the phone or the app would not allow this. 
  • quirkydeptless
    Options
    I just checked my HSBC App. I don't check it often, as I only have the account for the Regular saver.
    I could see the poor wintry HSBC magic money tree and a message telling me to update the App.
    I updated the App, and the tree was gone and I got "Welcome" in big cheesy letters instead. 
    Retired 1st July 2021.
    This is not investment advice.
    Your money may go "down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... I got all tricked up and came up to this thing, lookin' so fire hot, a twenty out of ten..."
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 23 November 2020 at 5:31PM
    Options
    The tree has vanished for me, to be replaced with Welcome over the HSBC logo.

I'm on Android, with the HSBC UK app. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure