Forum Home» Budgeting & Bank Accounts

Sending USD to Transferwise USD account

New Post Advanced Search

Sending USD to Transferwise USD account

3 replies 81 views
According to
https://transferwise.com/help/articles/2827506/how-do-i-use-my-usd-bank-details#h_a70fddd7-9e2e-47b6-a812-8600794b8d7e
the Transferwise USD account only accepts incoming USD transfers from certain countries. When i asked Transferwise support to confirm this, they said this is the case but without elaborating further. Anyone know the reason why they won't accept USD payment from any other countries? Reason for asking is that if my Italy based Fineco multi-currencies account is closed post 1st Jan 2021 (big 'if' I know), then I was planning on sending future USD payments from Qatar to UK via my USD Transferwise account but Qatar is NOT on the list of countries where they accept USD payments from.

Replies

• jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    28.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Money laundering guidelines would be my guess.
  • edited 22 November 2020 at 8:30PM
    ZellahZellah Forumite
    303 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    edited 22 November 2020 at 8:30PM
    Yet all UK High Street banks have no problem accepting incoming USD transfers from almost anywhere in the world though of course they’ll use a $hitty exchange rate when converting to GBP. So what makes TransferWise so special?
  • jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    28.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zellah said:
    Yet all UK High Street banks have no problem accepting incoming USD transfers from almost anywhere in the world though of course they’ll use a $hitty exchange rate when converting to GBP. So what makes TransferWise so special?
    The main high street banks will have 'agency' status with other banks worldwide - possibly making it easier to check where funds have come from - I suggest Transferwise do not have this back office operation.