Car tax Northern Ireland to Scotland

I'm in Northern Ireland and I'm wanting to take my mum's car home with me. I have a new keeper slip and the online tax told me to go to a post office. My address is in Scotland so I want to have my insurance policy to that address but I would need to tax the car in my name before taking it to my home in Scotland. Will there be any issues with using a insurance certificate that has my address in Scotland to tax the car in a Northern Irish post office?

Also I don't have an MOT certificate as they are all online now, does the post office need a physical certificate or is it being valid online enough?

Comments

• If you live in Northern Ireland, you’ll also need valid paper copy of either your current
    certificate of insurance or a cover note. Your insurance needs to be valid from the date your
    vehicle tax starts or the date your vehicle tax is issued – whichever is later.

unlike rest of uk where they check (or not) on MID , read here https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/vehicle-tax

• I know I will need the insurance certificate. I'm asking if I have my insurance certificate with my address in Scotland in the insurance documents will that be an issue getting it taxed in northern Ireland. Also do you know how long it takes to get an insurance certificate? Is it just a case of printing it off an email?
  • it does not matter the address , just ther fact that it is shown when asked for , most insurance cos (online) send you a PDF of your insurance cover note , for this purpose , just print it out 
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No, the insurance and RK address do not have to match.

But why not just change the V5C to your address anyway...?
  • The new v5c will be sent to my new address. Just I'm currently in Northern Ireland as my mother lived there and am wanting to take her car home with me but I need to tax it in my name with the new keeper slip first.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    OP, does your insurance certificate really have your address? I don't think mine ever have.
  • Assuming car is taxed at the moment.  Take out insurance in your name, drive home to Scotland, and then sort out all the paperwork (online) and re-tax it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback