Help with Pebbledash Render

Options
Hello
I badly need to replace the pebbledash on my home. I was just wondering if anyone knows if there are any government or local schemes that may be able to help with this? I live in North Wales and was hoping there may be something available. Do you know of any websites that may be able to help me check?
Thank you

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If you are replacing render on more than 25% of the total external wall area, building regs kick in and would require you to add insulation. With this in mind, the Green Home grant scheme may be of use to you.
    Apply for a grant, remove the render, fit external wall insulation (EWI), and then render over the top. As long as the property is suitable for EWI, and attention is paid to the finishing details, you get what you want (rerendered), and a warmer home.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • sherringham2001
    sherringham2001 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 November 2020 at 1:11PM
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I guess the EWI is different to cavity wall insulation? Sorry, I'm not clued up on these things.

The exterior of the house is red brick, so I will have to see if EWI is suitable. The house was built in 1972 and the pebble dash hasn't been replaced. It's starting to look really bad at the moment. The red brick is starting to show in parts and there are cracks appearing above the windows.
  • OilyByker
    Options
    No point putting EWI on a house with cavities, it is for solid wall buildings. There are a number of options to improve the look of dash and get back to the future. If any of your household are on benefits you can apply for green deal grants, but only for solid wall homes.......

New Brick or stone finishes are available, a number of dashed houses near us in Manchester have had it done. looks so much better than the brown pebbles they had before. I think it is called BrickFXwalls from the van that was there. 
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    OilyByker said: No point putting EWI on a house with cavities, it is for solid wall buildings.
    Errrm. EWI on a solid brick/stone wall is often not a good idea. It seals the walls with a nice waterproof and non-breathable layer which results in a build up of damp within the walls - A damp wall is a cold wall.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • sherringham2001
    Options
    I live alone and am not on benefits. The only thing I have found in Wales so far is Nest, but you have to be on benefits or earn under £16,000. I do 30 hours a week, and get not much more than the limit before deductions.

It doesn't look like the Green Home grant is available in Wales.

I don't there's anymore help I can use.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure