New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Trapped nerve

14 replies 227 views
What is it like to have a trapped nerve?
I fell down some steps 3 weeks ago, at the time I didnt think it was a big deal. Not sure if I had pains in my arm before, but since the fall, where my weight landed on my elbows, as I was carrying a cup.
My should hurts and I get pins/needles in my right arm/hand. Not sure if the pain in my shoulder has the same cause as my pins/needles in my arm.
I went to the dentst a couple of days ago, lying on the hard couch for a prolonged period was painfull for my shoulder.

Replies

• Torry_QuineTorry_Quine Forumite
    18.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can't give medical advice. You need to come your GP.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • JGB1955JGB1955 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    For me - it was wanting to commit suicide.  We were on holiday in the Lake District.  I couldn't envisage a life with that amount of pain. After 2 days I begged my husband to take me home so I could get a chiropractor appointment.  Now all sorted, but both I and my husband are very aware of any change in our skeletal pain levels.
    #36 Saving for Christmas 2020 - £1 a day challenge.... £634/£366...
  • ElephantBoy57ElephantBoy57 Forumite
    713 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    On the NHS web site it says to wait several weeks before seeing a GP, only if the pain persists.
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    8.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    On the NHS web site it says to wait several weeks before seeing a GP, only if the pain persists.

What does your own GP website say?
    Mine had been updated so all patients effectively self-diagnose, follow the advice for however long it says and then contact them if no improvement.

If it's been 3 weeks, no change for the better whatsoever, then contact your surgery or pop to the chemist and have a chat with them.
  • Torry_QuineTorry_Quine Forumite
    18.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What does your own GP website say?
    Mine had been updated so all patients effectively self-diagnose, follow the advice for however long it says and then contact them if no improvement.

If it's been 3 weeks, no change for the better whatsoever, then contact your surgery or pop to the chemist and have a chat with them.
    I agree. Three weeks is long enough. If the OP can't see a GP then speak to a pharmacist re pain relief.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • ElephantBoy57ElephantBoy57 Forumite
    713 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I agree. Three weeks is long enough. If the OP can't see a GP then speak to a pharmacist re pain relief.
    I dont generally take painkillers, I was thinking about ringing the NHS 111

• ToxicWombleToxicWomble Forumite
    808 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Don’t - they have better things to do.

You have been given advice on what to do - follow it

You are in pain - “I don’t take pain killers”

Well there’s your choice - be in pain or take some pain killers - dont waste valuable NHS time and resources needlessly 
  • AranyaniAranyani Forumite
    638 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Its been 3 weeks since your fall.  Get an appointment.
  • wazza99wazza99 Forumite
    302 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I can only say from current experience nerve pain (trapped or pinched) can reduce a man to tears, i have a trapped nerve in my lower back and from day 2 the pain can only be described as hell on earth. No way would any OTC pain killer touch it. I've had two weeks on Amtitriptyline, co-codamal and Diazepan none of which helped, i'm now on Pregabalin and Tramadol again which barely touch it. To live a life in this pain would be unthinkable. So there you have what a trapped nerve can feel like.
  • KatiehoundKatiehound Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    my suggestion would be to see if there is an osteopath or chiropractor in your area - phone them up- ask their advice. ( and no, good practioners don't automatically say they can help- if they can't!) It may well be that hands on manipulation would sort the problem- but it will cost you
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks