Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Calling a foreign telephone cheaply?

Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
14.5K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭✭
Any suggestions for a service enabling one to call a telephone in a foreign country (in a region where the internet is not available and where text messaging is blocked)? The block on the internet presumably means WhatsApp would not work. WeChat Out would seem ideal, but it appears not to be available now.

Replies

• cymruchriscymruchris Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Viber out allows you to call landlines as a landline to landline phone without the voip at their end - I imagine you'll have to check the country you want to call is on their list. I used it often to call from Malaysia to the UK, and worked well for me.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • J_BJ_B Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Basically, you allocate a 'local' number which you can (hopefully) dial from your 'inclusive minutes' and it then diverts to a foreign number on a PAYG basis.
    It works well for voice calls, but despite them saying you can text, it's not reliable!
  • ChinoChino Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Might help responses if you named this "foreign country (in a region where the internet is not available and where text messaging is blocked)".
  • Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chino said:
    Might help responses if you named this "foreign country (in a region where the internet is not available and where text messaging is blocked)".
    OK: not sure if it is relevant, but I need to call occupied areas of Kashmir.