Washing Machine Water Drain

Options
I have recently purchased a property and in the utility room where the washing machine goes, the outlet drain connection like the attached but my machine has a standard hose so wondering how to connect them together.

Comments

• AskAsk
    AskAsk Posts: 2,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    doesn't the hose just push over this?
  • ck7ah
    ck7ah Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AskAsk said:
    I haven't tried it yet, we will be moving the washing machine next weekend but just wanted to be prepared.  If it fits over do I just tighten the silver thingy (I don't know what it's called)
  • clive0510
    Options
    its a hose clip. just push your waste over the plastic connector and do the hose clip up. how is the waste plumbed in in your old house. probably the same I would of thought.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ck7ah said:
    AskAsk said:
    I haven't tried it yet, we will be moving the washing machine next weekend but just wanted to be prepared.  If it fits over do I just tighten the silver thingy (I don't know what it's called)
    Jubilee clip :-)

Yes, the standard arrangement is that your washing machine hose just slides onto the drain tube (give it a clean first, and a little bit of washing-up liquid can help lubricate it if it's a very tight fit).  Then the jubilee clip goes over the hose from the washing machine, tighten it up and it'll clamp the hose firmly onto the drain pipe.  No need to over-tighten it, it's just a belt 'n' braces really to make sure the hose can't come loose.  If you find that the jubilee clip is getting a bit past it, or is looking rusty at all, a new one will cost pennies from any DIY shed, just get one that's the right diameter.

• AskAsk
    Options
    ck7ah said:
    AskAsk said:
    like this

• ck7ah
    Options
    clive0510 said:
    its a hose clip. just push your waste over the plastic connector and do the hose clip up. how is the waste plumbed in in your old house. probably the same I would of thought.
    If I recall rightly, at my current property, the pipe is just sitting inside a white pipe, I just remember pushing it down a hole and no other thing was done. It was about 10 years ago though.  I don't remember this using a hose clip or anything fancy
  • ck7ah
    Options
    AskAsk said:
    ck7ah said:
    AskAsk said:
    like this

Perfect, at least I have something to visualise.  I don't think my hose as that thick grey end that the clip is on.  However I won't know until next week when I move the washing machine.  If it does not have it, can I purchase the end grey bit?
  • ck7ah
    Options
    ck7ah said:
    AskAsk said:
    Jubilee clip :-)

Yes, the standard arrangement is that your washing machine hose just slides onto the drain tube (give it a clean first, and a little bit of washing-up liquid can help lubricate it if it's a very tight fit).  Then the jubilee clip goes over the hose from the washing machine, tighten it up and it'll clamp the hose firmly onto the drain pipe.  No need to over-tighten it, it's just a belt 'n' braces really to make sure the hose can't come loose.  If you find that the jubilee clip is getting a bit past it, or is looking rusty at all, a new one will cost pennies from any DIY shed, just get one that's the right diameter.

Thank you. I have looked at Screwfix and can see there are many different sizes so will ensure I buy the right one
  • AskAsk
    Options
    ck7ah said:
    AskAsk said:
    ck7ah said:
    AskAsk said:
    like this

Perfect, at least I have something to visualise.  I don't think my hose as that thick grey end that the clip is on.  However I won't know until next week when I move the washing machine.  If it does not have it, can I purchase the end grey bit?
    my memory is very bad, but i think on some machines you will get a rubber waste pipe as shown in the photo.  they are easy push fit.  on other machines, the pipe is plastic and doesn't have the push fit end as such.  i tend to wrap the white connector with PTFE tape then push the plastic pipe on top as the PTFE tape create a tight seal.  then i use brown parcel tape to tape the join together.
  • ck7ah
    Options
    AskAsk said:
    ck7ah said:
    AskAsk said:
    ck7ah said:
    AskAsk said:
    like this

my memory is very bad, but i think on some machines you will get a rubber waste pipe as shown in the photo.  they are easy push fit.  on other machines, the pipe is plastic and doesn't have the push fit end as such.  i tend to wrap the white connector with PTFE tape then push the plastic pipe on top as the PTFE tape create a tight seal.  then i use brown parcel tape to tape the join together.
    Mine is plastic if I remember correctly.  My machine is 10 years old and a Bosch.  I will follow your advice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback