We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

the daily nudge

Options

Comments

• Grogged
    Grogged Posts: 865 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Just dropped by to say hi. 👋
    Looks like you've got a good budget and plan.
    Do you budget pay to pay or calendar month?
    If it's not adding up, compound it!
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 9,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi Couth, best of luck with the new mortgage and the overpaying 🙂
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • couth
    couth Posts: 60 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 December 2020 at 11:04AM
    Options
    Thanks everyone, hope you all had a good weekend. Busy one here - all clubs restarted so we're back to 'normal' - athletics and dance for DD, tennis for me. I even managed a 5k run, so I'm pleased on that front. Christmas tree is up, we bought it from DD's school as it's a big fundraising source for them. The unbudgeted (but regular) expense made me think - well this happens every year but it's never in my bills list. I've also just made Amazon Prime annual and I have a couple of other smaller bills that are quarterly... 

So I decided to give YNAB a try. We (with my ex) bought a YNAB 4 license a long time ago but we never got around to using it as the relationship broke down and I just forgot about it. YNAB 4 is no longer supported, but the purchase gives me a 10% lifetime discount to the online version if I decide to subscribe. Last night I sat with all my accounts and added all income, bills and spending from 1 December until now - just to play with it a bit to see how it works, and also see the full December picture, and it's now looking up to date. I will test it until end of Dec then decide if I pay for the annual sub. It's $75.59 for the annual sub (roughly £57, so <£5 per month). The $11.99 monthly subscription comes to £9, so no point in choosing monthly. 

This week looks good busy. I really need to post some overseas Christmas cards otherwise they won't make it. We have to decorate the rest of the flat. I have my December 500 active work challenge, so I need to plan for at least 4 exercise sessions: run 5km x2, play tennis x1. The 4th session is covered - we booked ice skating with friends quite a while ago, for Saturday. I'm happy that current restrictions allow it, so looking forward to that... forecast showing no rain at the moment. 

Long rant over. Have a good start of the week everyone! 

PS. This might sound quite shallow, but I have to say I really like the "Net worth" report in YNAB... the value of my flat has increased quite a lot since I bought it in 2012, and although we're not moving anywhere in the next 5 years or so, it's good to look at that positive balance even though it's only on paper. One thing that I need to increase though is the value of my pension.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback