the daily nudge

Options
couth
couth Posts: 60 Forumite
Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
edited 22 November 2020 at 10:03AM in Mortgage-free wannabe
Hi everyone. I love passively reading other people's diaries - they really helped me stay focused in the past, so I thought why not open my own and see how I get on... My focus for the next couple of years is to find a good balance between "financial health i.e., overpay mortgage-grow pension-save-invest" and "enjoy life" which, in this context, means holidaying and being able to enjoy what London has to offer in terms of cultural life. I'm lucky that I don't have loans and credit card debt, but I am a single parent and my income doesn't stretch that much, so something has to give. This means being smarter about grocery shopping, cutting/limiting eating out/takeaways, and reducing spending on non-essential stuff like clothes, shoes, gadgets, toiletries, etc. In 2020 the balance was very much tilted towards the financial health part, as I was able to add more to my pension, save, and overpay more, but I expect want 2021 to get back to normal, even if it's a new sort of normal... Here's the lowdown on my financial targets from now until end of 2021: 
  • Overpay mortgage by £4K (~ 2%)
  • Contribute £10K to the pension fund
  • Invest at least £2K in stocks & shares ISA
  • Save minimum £100 each month. 
My targets are a bit on the high side, but we'll probably have some coronavirus restrictions for the first months of the year (:sigh:) and I don't expect to holiday abroad until next summer. On the non-financial goals: run at least 500km, eat healthier (less sugar and carbs), read more, and make more time for family, friends, and for my main hobby, which is photography.
Thank you for reading and good luck to all of us! :smile:

Comments

• FatJock
    FatJock Posts: 196 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Welcome on board Couth.
    I've recently joined myself and look forward to reading about your journey.
    All the best.
  • couth
    Options
    Thank you! I've read a bit of you diary as well, it looks like we have sizeable mortgages, lots of room to overpay! will be following :)
  • longway2go
    longway2go Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi and welcome Couth  :)
    I wish you the best with your goals and remember setting them is the first step to achieving them. 
    Mortgage Aug 2019 161,000 :eek::eek::eek:Nov 2019 156,500:T Jan 2020 153,122:T, Apr 2020 149,500, Apr2021 139, 675, Oct 2021 136,823, Dec 2021 136,120🙂EF 0/12,000 (0%)😕 (5062.44 was ERC), Jan 2023 128,650. Our Mortgage is never going to be as high as it is today. :jOnwards and downwards to a better life for our family. :jJust keep swimming
  • couth
    edited 19 November 2020 at 10:07AM
    Options
    My daily nudge is turning out to be more like a weekly nudge :smile: I started a spreadsheet to track my progress and reviewed my Excel bills spreadsheet and it looks like British Gas and Amazon Prime are good candidates, so now I need to find a new energy provider and, come payday, change the Amazon Prime subscription to annual, rather than monthly. Then Vodafone mobile is next in March. The rest are either cannot be switched or are in contract. 

Feeling so tired today... I have not been out much this week, but I plan to go for a run at lunchtime, after a 2-hour work call. Fingers crossed it won't rain. I'm so erratic when it comes to running, there are weeks when I run 3 times a week, then there are weeks when I barely manage one 5k. I like running and it really helps me but I'm terrible when it comes to leaving my desk. I hate working from home five days a week, I really do, I have not found a good routine for it, and I hope we can go back to the office soon, even if it will be 2-3 days. (Being single doesn't help, I crave f2f adult conversation! and my only local friend is isolating due to c-19 at the moment, so we can't go for a walk). 
  • caeler
    caeler Posts: 2,605 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Try the MSE Energy Club, that has helped me a couple of times get the best deal.  https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub

I too am erratic with running, I did a 4 day running streak the week before last and nothing since!  I'm not going to give myself a hard time though.  I am working at home today and the right option would be to fit in a run also, but I know I won't! Although I do plan a quick walk to the post box to post a birthday card later.
  • caeler
    Options
    Dunelm do ready made curtains with a 228cm drop. Any good?  
  • couth
    Options
    Thanks, I actually have video appointment with Dunelm for early Dec :) The 228 drop is fine, but I believe I need larger width than the Dunelm ready made ones. I want to avoid 'made to measure' which is more expensive...
  • caeler
    Options
    I’m sure they’ll sort you out. Their widest set is 284cm (W) with a length of 228cm. So that will cover a width of 568cm. I’d have though that would be fine and give you enough gather. My whole house has dunelm curtains, their sales are great! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback