cafe nero in receivership

2»

Comments

• CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 14 November 2020 at 10:41PM
    maman said:
    It's not a chain I use but always sorry to hear of anyone losing their jobs.

When we were in Warsaw a couple of years ago, Cafe Nero seemed as high profile and Starbucks and Costa are here. We used a couple of them and they did delicious fresh  baguettes and beautiful cakes . It was the sort of quality you'd get at a National Trust property here. Is it the same in the UK?
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g274856-d1077629-Reviews-Green_Caffe_Nero-Warsaw_Mazovia_Province_Central_Poland.html
    They're lovely in Poland, I try to use a Polish chain though when in PL as none of the foreign chains seem to be able to manage local doughnuts with their coffee.

The food in the UK (from memory) is quite nice. I haven't really frequented coffee shops other than a local one this year (which appears to have become a second office at times). Pret seem to have more of a presence at UK airports, but their food isn't up to the same standards IMO.

Edit: This is a restructuring and an attempt to get turnover-based rents rather than a fixed sum.
    💙💛 💔
  • arnoldy
    arnoldy Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 21 November 2020 at 1:48PM
    A lot of questions over Cafe Nero Corporate ethics and tax affairs...personally I'd avoid them like the plague. Costa pays its taxes and is an ethical Company - certainly when it was owned by Whitbread,
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/caffe-nero-hasnt-paid-corporation-21094096
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The soon to be new owners of Asda have apparently made a bid for Cafe Nero.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    DCFC79 said:
    Use some of the redundant store space with the offering. 
  • CKhalvashi
    DCFC79 said:
    Eat 17 have been doing this with Spar, so it would make a lot of sense for this to happen as a way of both increasing footfall and therefore market share.
    💙💛 💔
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    DCFC79 said:
    Eat 17 have been doing this with Spar, so it would make a lot of sense for this to happen as a way of both increasing footfall and therefore market share.
    Tesco failed with their diversification strategy. 
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    DCFC79 said:
    Yes I can see that happening, open up a Cafe Nero franchise in store and maybe close a nearby Cafe Nero to save on the rent.
  • CKhalvashi
    DCFC79 said:
    Tesco failed with their diversification strategy. 
    I don't run a supermarket, but we're not currently failing with ours.

Even a similar thing may or may not work if executed differently/at a different time, and it's not like we don't have a lot of unused capacity within the business at the moment, so using this differently now may or may not lead to longer term growth as the original main activity (which has been largely suspended since March) picks up again.

I'd take a bet that Nero are in a similar position, as are Asda, so probably there's not a lot to lose on either front by giving a slightly different operating model a go.
    💙💛 💔
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure