Company closing site in 10 months, but no news on redundancy, now asking to cut hours

Can any one help please.
I am currently working for a company that is sublet to a big energy firm, but the energy firm has said it is going to close the site by September 2021.
We were told this on Thursday 5th November, on 10th November my boss has told me I need to cut my hours, we have kept the same hours during the Covid crisis, I have worked all the way through. Obviously if I cut my hours now, redundancy pay will be at the less hours.
Can I be forced to cut my hours? that is my question and what can I do about this.

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'd suggest waiting to see what the full proposals are. Perhaps they intend to flexi furlough at least until the 31st March 2021. 
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,476
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 November 2020 at 4:05PM
    Presumably there is not enough work for you, so you are being asked to reduce your hours. Your contract of employment may have a clause saying that you may be required to reduce your hours. The worst case scenario would be that your employer may decide that your role is no longer required and redundancy happens now instead of in 10 months time.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback