New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Veg Boxes

13 replies 3.1K views
Hi all. I was just wondering what you're experiences are with delivered veg boxes. Do they actually save you money or are they just a bit of luxury. I hate being stuck to a meal plan and like to be inventive with my cooking so thinking if I have a load of veg in  it might stop me having to go so often to the supermarket which is my downfall! I'm trying to reverse meal plan si have lots of cupboard and freezer stores and save money on my groceries but find i just get too tempted when I go to the supermarket and end up buying a load of c*ap!  
April 20 GC - budget £168/£280, spent - £112 ( use up stores, no food waste, shop every 10 days, stick to list, home cooking)
Debt repayments 
Barclaycard (£187) £0  
Debt to family - (£200) £0
Tesco (£2200) £5343
Halifax (£488) £298 =£0
Virgin £3611 = £0
Total: Mar 2020 (£6486 ) Apr £6109 May £5665 (+£106 tranfer fee); June £5331 Sept (£950 added) £5343

Replies

• edited 9 November at 6:27PM
    JellytottsJellytotts Forumite
    51 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    edited 9 November at 6:27PM
    We had one during the first lockdown but I found it very pricy, we are just two adults but eat a lot of fruit and veg, mostly seasonal, the box (from a local company) for 2 people wasn't anywhere near enough and the larger boxes just doubled up on the quantities rather than adding more variety. 

I tend to buy what's on offer at Lidl and meal plan around that, we do grow a lot of our own stuff too but I found it a bit too restrictive for us.  There's no point in 3 bananas, 1 lemon, 3 satsumas and a bunch of grapes, they'd go in 2 days.

• skogarskogar Forumite
    255 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    The local veg stall on the market here were doing deliveries (and their stuff is really good and sensibly priced - we used them before lockdown) as OH eats lots of salad and fruit but limited other veg - I just used to give them a price for fruit another for salad (with a note to avoid a couple of things we wouldn't eat) and then specify any extras I wanted. Worked really well as we got a really good selection of stuff but could request anything we specifically wanted, also it meant that like Jellytotts we had plenty of  fruit to eat.
  • skogarskogar Forumite
    255 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Sorry - I meant to say there maybe someone near you doing  deliveries that didn't use to - its worth checking facebook pages of local suppliers.
  • TraySelectTraySelect Forumite
    68 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Absolutely - our veg box saves us cash. We get a box from a local organic grower - they deliver to the house, no plastic, no waste and brilliant veg. Great variety.
    We have whatever veg are going that week - I can't be bothered with saying I want this or that each week, nor do I meal plan in advance. The week's meals fall out of whatever has been delivered in the box that week.
    It's brilliant - support your local growers and ditch plastic-covered tat-veg from supemarkets.
  • FrugalistamamaFrugalistamama Forumite
    47 posts
    10 Posts
    Thanks everyone. Prices seem to vary hugely. I think I'll give it a go and look at local businesses. 
    April 20 GC - budget £168/£280, spent - £112 ( use up stores, no food waste, shop every 10 days, stick to list, home cooking)
    Debt repayments 
    Barclaycard (£187) £0  
    Tesco (£2200) £5343
    Halifax (£488) £298 =£0
    Virgin £3611 = £0
    Total: Mar 2020 (£6486 ) Apr £6109 May £5665 (+£106 tranfer fee); June £5331 Sept (£950 added) £5343
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Mummy2cheekymonkeysMummy2cheekymonkeys Forumite
    327 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    I know its not quite the same thing as a veg box delivery but i have bought the morrisons wonky veg box for the last couple of weeks. Its brilliant. I got 1 sweetheart cabbage, 2 massive courgettes, 6 of the biggest onions ive ever seen, a large swede, potatoes, carrots and parsnips. All for £3 
  • bouicca21bouicca21 Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have oddbox.  A small fruit and veg box is more than enough for a single person and  it costs roughly what it would be in a supermarket.  What I find interesting is that it includes stuff I wouldn't normally think of trying, plus they send recipe ideas.  Who knew you could roast radishes?  Well, I didn't!
  • FrugalistamamaFrugalistamama Forumite
    47 posts
    10 Posts
    bouicca21 said:
      Who knew you could roast radishes?  Well, I didn't!
    Wow, I didn't know that! 
    Debt repayments 
    Barclaycard (£187) £0  
    Tesco (£2200) £5343
    Halifax (£488) £298 =£0
    Virgin £3611 = £0
  • edited 11 November at 6:24AM
    FrugalistamamaFrugalistamama Forumite
    47 posts
    10 Posts
    edited 11 November at 6:24AM
    I know its not quite the same thing as a veg box delivery but i have bought the morrisons wonky veg box for the last couple of weeks. Its brilliant. I got 1 sweetheart cabbage, 2 massive courgettes, 6 of the biggest onions ive ever seen, a large swede, potatoes, carrots and parsnips. All for £3 
    That's a great deal! Shame I don't have a Morrisons near me. 😕
    Debt repayments 
    Barclaycard (£187) £0  
    Tesco (£2200) £5343
    Halifax (£488) £298 =£0
    Virgin £3611 = £0
  • joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    9.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Frugalistamama - have you got a Lidl near you?  They do £1.50 boxes of mixed fruit and veg; I've had a few of the boxes and they are definitely good value - I'd say at least £5-6 worth.  The last one I got was mainly fruit and it was all good quality - there was far too much for us so I took some of it to DD1 (I should add this was before lockdown!).