Told 'new' role is not suitable however job title is exactly the same

Hi
I am just after some advice, I have been working for a company for around a year and a half (so do not fall in the 'redundancy as such) and have been told they are changing the role and no longer think I am suitable or have the skill set for the 'new' role however the job title is exactly the same and the majority of the tasks on the 'new' role I have done in the past or I am currently doing now. I have challenged to ask why I cannot be put forward or continue in the role and have been told I am not strong in certain behaviors to continue and they need someone ready to take on this role straight away and are not prepared to train me in these 'behaviors'. 
I have had no performance management or been given any indication I have been doing a bad job and my appraisals are all on track. However I was off sick due to a bereavement and I feel this may have something to do with it, although when asked they have of course denied this is the case. But they have a history of getting rid of people who have had any long term sickness.  
They are now advertising for 2 of these roles with the exact same title and are trying to get me to sign a COT 3 agreement so I accept the payment they are offering me and of course can make no further claims against the business. 
Just wondering if anyone has any advice on the above?
Many Thanks

Comments

• There's only so many job titles to go round, so the same one will often cover wildly different roles. 

If they don't feel that you are up to the challenge, there's very little you can do to change that.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 5 November 2020 at 4:16PM
    Employers don't normally go to the time and expense of recruiting externally if there are suitable internal candidates available. 
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,468
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Take the money and run!

Given that you have less than 2 years service, most employers would have just given you your statutory notice
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • oh_really
    oh_really Posts: 907
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Job titles are pretty meaningless.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business