New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Freezing food

edited 3 November at 4:31PM in Old Style MoneySaving
3 replies 4.8K views
curtis122curtis122 Forumite
117 posts
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 3 November at 4:31PM in Old Style MoneySaving
I always freeze potatoes and parsnips as backup for if we run out and don't want to have to go to the shops. With covid I've started to think about other things to freeze in case of self isolating or panic buyers(!!)  I'm at the moment trying Suede and was thinking of trying sprouts.
I bought a bag of frozen sprouts once from Farm foods and they were horrible when we went to use them they tasted funny so binned them. I've read on the internet about people blanching them and making sure they are dry and then freezing. Has anyone tried this? Do they not go to mush? Also noone on the articles I read said how to deal with them when it comes to using them from the freezer, do you just put them in boiling water and cook them as normal?

Replies

• joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    9.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cooking from frozen is just the same as if you'd bought the veg frozen, cook in boiling water for a few minutes until cooked to your liking.  

I don't tend to freeze individual veg but do chop and freeze stew veg packs.  I don't bother blanching them just chop and freeze in portion sized bags; alternatively you can open freeze on a tray if you want to keep them individual and then bag up and you will be able to take out however much you want.

Personally I don't mind frozen Brussels and have never bothered freezing my own but you can do them the same way as I do my stew veg - either open freeze and then bag or bag up in portions so you just grab a bag as and when you need it.

The only time you really need to blanch veg is if you intend to keep them in your freezer for a long time but I tend to use mine within a couple of months so no need.

• PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I blanch all the veg I freeze.
    Google seems to say it's the right thing to do (but I'm anal).
    If I have any swede left, I tend to steam it and mash it to add to potatoes as a topping for shepherd's pie.
    I blanch and freeze sprouts - but last Christmas I discovered they cooked very nicely in the slow cooker with the other veg I had left over (potatoes, parsnips, carrots, leeks).
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    23.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy some frozen veg from Farmfoods, especially leeks and I'm very pleased with them. When I get the 4 for £5 bags I generally get mushrooms and peppers and onions (laziness😉) as the price per kg compares well with fresh and they're all quick and easy to add to recipes especially in the SC. 

Mostly I cook and freeze veg rather than put it in raw. I have swede and carrot mash in portions and also braised red cabbage. If I wanted to keep potatoes as a standby I'd either do roast potatoes or oven chips by parboiling first  and open freezing before bagging. I suppose mash would work (it works for my swede) although it can be a bit watery but OK after reheating. 

I do chop and freeze (no blanching here either) any bits of carrot or celery or peppers starting to look past their best. These are ready to add to the next casserole/stew I make.