Can a company break a contract

I agreed a contract to have double glazing fitted. Signed the contract and paid the deposit around 4 weeks ago. The surveyor has been round and measured up (last Thursday). Today, I received an email from the salesman saying the company had made a mistake and the initial cost of £6,500 should be £7,600, due to the rise in aluminium prices that they had overlooked when they costed the job, but they'll let me off with £7,000!
What do I do!! Surely I have a contract and they can't break it? 

Comments

• Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I agreed a contract to have double glazing fitted. Signed the contract and paid the deposit around 4 weeks ago. The surveyor has been round and measured up (last Thursday). Today, I received an email from the salesman saying the company had made a mistake and the initial cost of £6,500 should be £7,600, due to the rise in aluminium prices that they had overlooked when they costed the job, but they'll let me off with £7,000!

They are letting you off with £7000?

What did all the rest of your quotations with other company's come in at?
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,962 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What does the contract say about their right to terminate it? If they have a right to terminate the contract currently, they can terminate the contract and offer you a new one, but you don't have to accept. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • tacpot12 said:
    What does the contract say about their right to terminate it? If they have a right to terminate the contract currently, they can terminate the contract and offer you a new one, but you don't have to accept. 
    It states in the contract that the seller has a right to cancel the contract. 
  • Hasbeen said:

They are letting you off with £7000?

What did all the rest of your quotations with other company's come in at?
    Problem is that I live in a conservation area. I'm replacing 84 yr old Crittall windows and they must be aluminium and the local authority Conservation Officer stated that they will agree to us replacing them provided they exactly match our neighbour's windows. So we are using the same supplier. 
  • What would they say if you wanted to cancel the contract after 4 weeks . I'm unsure of the job but if its costing you 7k . its costing them 4k if buying in . If making themselves theyre materials will cost around 1k / 1,5k , not inc the glass . An extra 1k is a lot of money for a 7k fitted job . The price of alli profile has shot up recently due to suppliers and transport costs . glass too but that's steep . meet them in the middle if possible and offer £6750 . that's reasonable IMHO
  • What would they say if you wanted to cancel the contract after 4 weeks . I'm unsure of the job but if its costing you 7k . its costing them 4k if buying in . If making themselves theyre materials will cost around 1k / 1,5k , not inc the glass . An extra 1k is a lot of money for a 7k fitted job . The price of alli profile has shot up recently due to suppliers and transport costs . glass too but that's steep . meet them in the middle if possible and offer £6750 . that's reasonable IMHO
    That's what I was thinking! £6,750. Good call. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback