We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.O/S Daily Monday 2 November 2020
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!
As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning
Morning everyone
Hugs to those that want/need them, those who are poorly and those who are looking after a poorly person x
Happy birthday to those with a birthday x
Still quite dark, blustery, wet underfoot and dreich start to the day.
DH up and gone to work stupid stupid early, DS1 getting ready for work and DS2 settled and happy.
Lunch yesterday was roast chicken, stuffing, roasties, mash, HG sprouting broc, broc, carrots, swede, HG green beans, peas, yorkshires and gravy. Some LO's. Tonight's dinner will be gammon, egg and gratin potatoes. Hairdresser is coming tonight instead of next week. I'm on a day off today - so will wait to see if my work get in touch, but I don't see why there will be any change to wait we're doing but we'll have to wait and see. I have several jobs to do today so will get on with those.
Keep safe and well x
nmlc x
Comments
-
Morning all DS dropped at the station as its very windy here so safer to go by train than his bike . DH still in bed but will be up shortly to work from home as usual . Not too sure what's on the agenda for today but will probably include some internet xmas shopping .
Marie if your son is alone i am sure he is allowed to be part of a bubble with you but fingers crossed we are all allowed to be with our families at Christmas
Ruby thinking of you and I hope you have some positive news from the hospital today
Tru Mr B is supposed to be on a low carb diet for his diabetes but he just does his own thing I did get cross with him at first but after loosing it with him big styleee i told him your on your own any choices you make are yours alone he doesn't follow any rules except his own so he will have to face the consequences which will not make him happy he has had his meds upped already but i can't stand the arguments
Hester hopefully a refund will be on its way to you but right now i think we all need a break and a change of scenery
Right better get on another cuppa is in order i think . Dinner tonight freezer surprise . Have a good day whatever you are up to xSlava Ukraini13 -
Morning

bella Mr tru is the same as your OH with most things but he seems to have thrown himself into this! He likes cooking so I think that it's because he likes to play around with food, rather than a health thing. I can't be bothered to argue either, especially when I know that when things go wrong, he'll whine to me about it and want me to fix it – whatever the 'it' is at the time. I'm afraid I reached the stage of sort your own crap out a long time ago.
I have a dental hygienist appointment at the end of the next week, not sure if that's still allowed? Back in March, they contacted patients straight away to let them know what was going on so they'll do the same now I would think. So I don't have to think it about it really but it's annoying not knowing yet.
I already had an online shop booked for next tuesday, I'll check my other usual times and if they're filling up fast, book another two. I'm not sure how far ahead Morrisons lets you book, I'll find out once I've posted this.
We managed to get out for a walk between showers yesterday, the wind didn't let up though so it was hard work. Scamp doesn't usually like the wind but he was happy to keep going so we did, his ears were being blown straight up, he did look funny! He always stops and stares at his favourite human friend's house, he was very happy when she came out. Made his day, I think, lol.
The wind is still going strong, I was hoping it would've calmed down a bit by now. We're due some showers again today. My garden is looking more awful by the day, my determination to tidy it up is growing in line with it's awfulness, lol.
Bulletproof11 -
Morning All
Still wet and windy, the storm at the weekend was rough, roads flooded and general chaos. I did manage to get through the floods to see the lovely Gers for breakfast and a chat, lovely to meet up after so long.
I cleaned the downstairs windows, thought there was a sticky handprint on the living room window but turns out it's where a bird has flown into the glass from the outside - will now wait for the window cleaners!
Back to work today, nothing changes for us, whatever tier we're in schools will stay open.
Hope you all have a happy Monday, take care. XX12 -
Morning everyone.After a dry start yesterday the rain returned in the afternoon. I haven't looked out yet, still cosy under the duvet despite being awake for a while.Meeting the lovely Camelot for breakfast was so refreshing. I have no idea how she braved the floods, the main road was completely under water but she knows the local roads. There was a video on FB of cars floating sideways on the worst bit!I rewatched Strictly before the results show where the inevitable happened. Claudia is having such fun with the social distancing thing, she makes me laugh.Today I have a dental appointment to replace the temporary crown put in months ago. That's it, nothing else planned.Now for a shuffle round the net. I hope everyone has a happy Monday.12
-
Morning everyone
Back to work for me though not till lunchtime, so I'm going to go for coffee with mam and dad while we still can. Same as Camelot for me - I work in a nursery so we'll still be open, unless Boris makes a change before Thursday. I did have an eye test booked for Saturday, which I expect will be cancelled now.
Had a lovely lazy afternoon with my paper and watched some TV.
Better move as I have a couple of things to do before I go out.
Hope everyone has a good day12 -
Hello allI've been up since silly o'clock waiting for my Iceland delivery 8-10am, I can't settle when I know I have to get up at a certain time, stupid I know, but I think a nana nap will have to happen this afternoon as I'll probably be hanging by then.We've just been informed that it's coming between 9 and 9.40am now. Only 3 things missing, a selection box ( I ordered 2 for the DGC) and ditto a bag of flying saucers but that's ok, I can work around that. Also missing some broccolli, who knew that would be in short supply
I will disinfect, clean and sort out Dad's stuff then take his up to him. I expect we will have some jobs awaiting us, I know Mr Fix It needs to take Dad's scooter battery from his car and put it in the house for the winter. I may have to play tetris in his freezer as I bought him some extra ready meals.Tea tonight will be the rest of the beef casserole, I did enough for 2 days for us and Dad to have a large portion, I will take his up to him today. The bins have to go out tonight too, so I will try to dodge the showers, or send himself
Mark Drakeford will be on at lunchtime letting us know what we will be in for next week, oh such excitement..... be still my beating heart !Take care all, stay safe and keep well.nan xxFailure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently12 -
Good morning, wet and wild here but it is meant to calm down, hope it does. The garden, which I'd managed to get to a reasonable state, is now buried under a thick mat of leaves and I have 5 bags of leaves in various stages of decomposition.
If not, I have plenty to do indoors.
Yesterday I made butter chicken curry from a recipe in Saturday's Times. Oddly, it contained no butter. Delicious but very rich, the recipe called for Greek yogurt but all I had was ordinary and just as well really due to the richness. Everything else was already in the pantry, spice cupboard or freezer. I will make this one again, but with plain rice instead of the spiced rice that I did last night, it doesn't need it, being quite spicy anyway.
Pickings for the birds must be decreasing, they are busy on their table and on the fat ball holder. When we had the first lockdown I bought suet balls from hamazone and they were quite soft and kept disappearing really fast, mostly because of the squirrels. More recently I have a big tub of them which we added to our delivery from Mr M, they are a lot harder so the small birds can peck away happily but squirrels struggle to get much off them.
Today I'll ring the washing machine people to see what is happening.
Hope everyone has a good day.
I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back13 -
Morning all.
Well, here we go again. My friend wants to go to get a birthday present today so I said I would go with her. The shop is just past the huge Tesco Extra so I can foresee a few miles of traffic jam. If so I think we will turn round and come home again.
RedRuby, I have everything crossed that your operation will go ahead as planned. One of my neighbours is due to have her hip replacement shortly. It has already been cancelled 4 times, the last time she was all prepped for the operation, on the trolley, in the gown and with the lines already drawn on her leg when she was told to get up, get dressed and go home.
If it doesn't go ahead this time I think she will have a nervous breakdown.
Nanny, I'm the same when I know I have to be up at a certain time. Keep waking up throughout the night.
Must do a bit of tidying up today. The bungalow looks as though it has been picked up and shaken.
THOUGHT FOR TODAY
New week. Bring it on!I believe that friends are quiet angels
Who lift us to our feet when our wings
Have trouble remembering how to fly.13 -
Morning all
Dry here for the moment but more rain due later and tomorrow its very windy though, dogs will love going out in this the do zoomies in the wind
Dinner tonight will be left over roast from last night but there is hardly any meat left so I shall cook a chicken as well which will do us a couple of nights.
WM is sbout to finish so that can go in the td this morning and I need to clean through downstairs and empty the dw.
Nels I watched Rebecca which I loved, started Emily in Paris last night but not sure yet will watch a few more and see if I get into it.
Mona your poor neighbour Mine has been cancelled once already and that was bad enough so goodness knows how she feels, poor lady x
Right better get on have good days all xx
11 -
Woohoo, washing machine company working normally with Social distancing and actually they don't even need to cone through the house,just down the side passage, across the flagstones and into the outhouse. Having bit of toasted sultana bread to celebrate.I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back12
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
