We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:
Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour.

Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

First time seller 😊

Hello, 

I clearly remember when I brought this house I said to my mum ‘that wasn’t soooo stressful. I thought it was supposed to be like top ten most stressful life events and she said...I think it’s the selling a house that’s stressful..not buying. 

OMG she’s so right. 

I have some questions. Most are probably a bit daft 😂. Anyone humour me? 

1) My biggest worry is my windows. Had them all replaced in about August time and need a BCN for them. The guy who installed said he has requested it but we have had no appointment. I have had my Oh ask him a good few times but he said there is no point as he is just wait for an appointment now. He took my email address and said they would email me. Does this sound right? How long will i wait? I am so nervous with government lock down talks that I’d pay to have it done privately if that’s a thing? Anyone know of any way I can speed things up? 

2) my buyers had a survey done. The EA called and told me when it would be and said they would give surveyor the key. Fine. Then I happened to be home on the day. They only had a mortgage valuation done. Is that weird? How do I find out if they will be having anything else? Or does a shut mouth catch no flies and just say nothing and let them do their thing. TBF we’ve done no building work etc so maybe they don’t think it’s needs a structural survey 🤷🏼‍♀️.

3) will I ever find out what their survey said? And similarly do I ever know that they have requested searches? Would my solicitor know if I asked? 

4) how do I know what the seller is up to? They are moving in to a vacant property and report to be keen to move too but how do I know where they are with their purchase? 

5) my own mortgage application went in last week and they told me I’d get an answer within 3 weeks. I asked my solicitor to request searches but they said they can’t without the  sales pack. They have requested this but not yet received. I think it’s only been about 10 days since the seller found a house to buy so she probably wasn’t very active before then so do I just wait? Or when do I cause again?

6) in a chain of three, my buyers are buy to let, and my sellers are going to a vacant property with at least two of us (me and my buyer) reasonably far in to mortgage applications etc, and everyone reporting to be keen to move...what’s the chances of getting in before Xmas? 😂😂😂 I had to ask 😂😂😂. I know no one knows but humour me...

Big thank you to anyone who responds ❤️

Comments

  • I wouldn't worry about the survey.  With being BTL he may have bought a number of properties and is happy enough with what he has seen on viewing.  The mortgage valuation is for the mortgage company more than him. 

    You will only know what the survey said if it comes back valuing your property lower than the mortgage.  Even then they may just increase their deposit.  Their calcs will be on their rental income Vs purchase price and they are happy enough with that already. 

    They also may not be too concerned about the windows / fensa/ building control but that's up to them. 

    You will not have much idea what the seller is up to unless they choose to tell you 

    Chase as much as you like, it's the only way to know what's happening 

    Xmas is optimistic 
  • anni_
    anni_ Posts: 31
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thank you so much for replying lesalonos. Your answers have really helped me. 
    With the windows then do I just reply to the questionnaire and say no I don’t have a FENSA / BCN  and then see what they say? I was a bit nervous to do that but I could do that in the interim and still chase it in the mean time?

    Thanks again 
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.