New discovery about 2-week run-on payment (legacy benefits to UC)

Options
  • "Eligible claimants will receive the full two-week run on as long as you do not have a change of circumstance during those two weeks that would terminate the legacy benefit that's being run on.
  • If you do have a change that ends the legacy benefit during the run-on period, you would receive a partial run-on"

I'm not sure what sort of change they mean, though. For example, if you'd been on JSA but stated in your UC application that you had a condition which affected your ability to work, is that the sort of thing they're talking about?

Comments

• NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 30 October 2020 at 8:43PM
    Options
    On JSA you can be unfit for work with a fit note for short periods so that would not necessarily terminate the claim. Two things that would terminate a JSA claim are working 16h/week or more and leaving the country, both of which are permissible on UC. The partial run on is because JSA is awarded on a daily basis for each day you are/remain entitled. So if you made a claim for UC and then reported you had started work or were leaving the country for a holiday, that would terminate the run on as you would no longer be eligible for claiming JSA during the run on period.
    There is nothing unique about the "run on" here. It is simply a normal JSA claim that continues to remain open, as long as you are eligible to claim, for an additional 14 days, once you have made a claim for UC. Before the "run on", your JSA claim would have terminated as soon as you claimed UC.
  • stupidaspie
    Options
    NedS said:
    On JSA you can be unfit for work with a fit note for short periods so that would not necessarily terminate the claim.
    But I suppose if the condition affecting your ability to work was a longstanding one, it might do?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Options
    NedS said:
    On JSA you can be unfit for work with a fit note for short periods so that would not necessarily terminate the claim.
    But I suppose if the condition affecting your ability to work was a longstanding one, it might do?
    That's why Ned said ‘short periods’.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • stupidaspie
    Options
    NedS said:
    The partial run on is because JSA is awarded on a daily basis for each day you are/remain entitled.
    So you still get the full run-on regardless of when you claim UC? A work coach who contacted me about the increase told me I should claim UC the day after my normal signing day, but I only want to claim it it if I get a property from the council (I have had a provisional offer).
  • calcotti
    Options
    stupidaspie said: So you still get the full run-on regardless of when you claim UC? 
    Yes.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • NedS
    Options
    calcotti said:
    NedS said:
    To expand on that, and the rule behind it...
    On JSA you are permitted one "Extended Period of Sickness" of up to 13 weeks in any 12 month period which must be covered by a Fit Note. If at week 14 you are not fit to return to work (or seeking work), then your claim for JSA would close and you would be required to claim a sickness benefit, e.g ESA or UC. So if someone were 12 weeks into a 13 week Extended Period of Sickness on JSA when they made a claim for UC, their JSA claim would only run on for 1 week before terminating unless they became fit for work again. If you were 11 weeks or less into an Extended Period of Sickness at the point of claiming UC, the 2 week run on of JSA would continue.
  • stupidaspie
    Options
    NedS said:
    calcotti said:
    NedS said:
    On JSA you are permitted one "Extended Period of Sickness" of up to 13 weeks in any 12 month period which must be covered by a Fit Note. If at week 14 you are not fit to return to work (or seeking work), then your claim for JSA would close and you would be required to claim a sickness benefit, e.g ESA or UC. So if someone were 12 weeks into a 13 week Extended Period of Sickness on JSA when they made a claim for UC, their JSA claim would only run on for 1 week before terminating unless they became fit for work again. If you were 11 weeks or less into an Extended Period of Sickness at the point of claiming UC, the 2 week run on of JSA would continue.

Just so I'm completely clear, if you haven't had a period of sickness on JSA but state on your UC application that a mental health or neurodevelopmental condition affects your ability to work, and where the form says "When did your condition start?" you enter a date which is longer than 13 weeks ago, does that mean you won't get the run-on payment?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    Options
    NedS said:
    calcotti said:
    NedS said:

you enter a date which is longer than 13 weeks ago, does that mean you won't get the run-on payment?
    No, because you haven't had any period of sickness while you were claiming JSA.
  • NedS
    Options
    Just so I'm completely clear, if you haven't had a period of sickness on JSA but state on your UC application that a mental health or neurodevelopmental condition affects your ability to work, and where the form says "When did your condition start?" you enter a date which is longer than 13 weeks ago, does that mean you won't get the run-on payment?
    That is not a scenario that should happen because you would have reported the health condition more than 13 weeks ago under JSA, because you are required to report all changes in circumstance immediately.

• calcotti
    Options
    There is a difference between having a health condition and having a health condition that affects the ability to work.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback