PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Witnessing TR1 Land Registry Form Being Signed

Options
Hi,

My partner and her mother are executors of their late grandmother/mother's estate.

The property has a sale agreed and each of them needs to sign the TR1 Land Registry form and have this witnessed.

I'm not party to the transaction.. can I witness their signatures?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, this shouldn't be a problem.
  • BekahLeaDee
    Options
    When you say partner do you mean legally or not? 
    Either way, it's always stated that it should be an independent witness who should sign. No relation at all. A neighbour or a friend is normally recommended. 
  • Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Does your partner live at the same address as you?  If they do, this may cause a delay while the solicitor and the buyer's solicitor decide whether they want to risk Land Registry rejecting it.  Yes, the witness should be non-related and independent to the transaction, which you state you are, but you are involved to a much greater degree than a work colleague or neighbour.  Do you really want to be rushing about getting a new TR1 signed and returned on completion day?
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,797 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    chaotic_j said:
    Hi,
    My partner and her mother are executors of their late grandmother/mother's estate.
    The property has a sale agreed and each of them needs to sign the TR1 Land Registry form and have this witnessed.
    I'm not party to the transaction.. can I witness their signatures?
    Thanks in advance.

The witness should be independent, and preferably someone who knows the signatory well and could confirm you did sign the deed if necessary. One person may witness more than one signature but must sign and complete the details below every signature witnessed.

One party to the transfer cannot witness the signature of another party to the transfer. The spouse, civil partner or co-habitee of a transferor or transferee can act as a witness (if they are not a party to the deed), but this is best avoided.

It would be rare for us to reject the TR1 on this point alone but best to check with your conveyancer for clarity of their recommendations and requirements 

Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 October 2020 at 2:21PM
    Options
    Extrapolate why witnesses are needed in the first place.

Example: 
    In 5 years time there is some dispute not involving you. You and your partner split up 4 years into your relationship acrimoniously.
    Your ex-partner: "He witnessed the TA1"
    You: "No I didn't, my signature was forged".

So it's best for your partner to get someone more independent to witness it.
  • chaotic_j
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks a lot for all of your help, my partner and her mother each had a neighbour witness their signature of the TR1 so it's all sorted now.

Thanks again!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure