PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

National lockdown - moving??

Options
I’m sure many of us are worrying about this. We are hoping to complete and move before a Christmas. If a National Lockdown is announced, do you think the Government will extend the free stamp duty? Also, do you think we will still be able to move? I’m hoping it won’t be as strict as last time. We will be moving into rented so this is worrying me slightly. 

What happened back in April when people had exchanged and were due to complete during the lockdown? 

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    See if theres previous threads on what happened during the lockdown earlier on in the year.
    I dont see why you shouldn't be able to move but its dependant on the movers I guess if they work during it 
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 October 2020 at 9:29AM
    Options
    grk1964 said:
    What happened back in April when people had exchanged and were due to complete during the lockdown? 
    They were allowed to complete. And moving house was allowed too. The difficulties were around whether everybody involved in the process was working as near-normal e.g. in Scotland the Land Register was shut for a while, which effectively stopped completions happening.
  • youth_leader
    youth_leader Posts: 2,484 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    If you book your removal I believe it can go ahead during strict lockdown, with PPE and careful social distancing etc.  I hadn't booked mine in May as my completion date changed, and when I enquired, was told removal companies were not considered key workers.  I had to move myself into rented, and couldn't sell or donate the furniture I no longer wanted.  The house clearance companies wouldn't come either as it involved 'removing', luckily my buyer agreed to take it for free.
    £216 saved 24 October 2014
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 30 October 2020 at 11:19AM
    Options
    Through all the latest guidance, house moving has been an allowed exemption to the rules on people mixing - so family and friends can assist a move even at tier 3.  I presume this is so that those that are moving can still arrange it themselves, without the need for professional assistance they might not be able to afford. 

However, the guidance always was that those that can't work from home could continue to do their work - trades could continue - builders, heating engineers, and of course movers.  It was only social visits that couldn't happen - professional movers moving you is not a social visit. 

If a company wasn't working during the lockdown, it was frankly through choice or the need of all their staff to self isolate.  Many misunderstood the rules, and went on furlough.  Furlough rules are different now, and only those companies that are compelled by law to close are eligible for furlough assistance.  I'm sure the government continue this rule and not open furlough to anybody if there was a repeat of a national lockdown, to ensure the shutdown of the economy doesn't happen again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback