PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Homebuyers Report

Options
Hi, we’ve just had our survey report back and wondered if anyone could help me clarify a few things. Thankfully we don’t think anything major needs doing and as it has been an older persons property it seems just general things needs replacing/modernising. 
 As someone with not a single clue what any of this really means, would someone be able to suggest if my simple ideas (written in italics) are the correct ideas of fixing these problems? These are all of the things that are listed as a ‘3’ on the report. 

E6 -
There is a safety concern with the front and rear door. The glazing has no markings to indicate toughened or laminated safety glass is present. This is a safety risk and the glazing should be replaced. I’m presuming new doors fix this which we were planning on anyway! 

F4 -
The floor tiles in the ground floor may contain asbestos. Before commencing any work on suspected asbestos containing materials a risk assessment should be undertaken. The only one that I thought may incur a larger cost, our plan is to essentially rip out the whole kitchen and start again anyway, so presuming we get someone to remove the asbestos safely the problem is fixed. 

F9 -
The property has no smoke alarms or carbon monoxide alarms. Condition rating 3. This is considered a safety risk. Get some and this fixes this

G1 - 
The electrical installation has modern safety devices and I found no obvious defects and while no repairs appear necessary, I have not been provided with a test certificate. Further investigation by a registered electrician is now required.
The number of socket outlets is below modern standards and there is a risk of overloading the sockets that are present. The sockets are all single sockets which we were planning on replacing with double anyway. I presume we also just have an electrician come round and say yep everything looks ok and safe? 

G2 - 
Gas is supplied from the mains. The meter is located in an outside meter box.
I saw no areas of concern, however, I do not know if there is a current test certificate for the installation. Presuming we get solicitor to see if there is one, if not we get it checked over by gas engineer? 

Thanks I’m advance for any help! I kind of expected there to be more 3’s and that they would seem more difficult to fix so I’m trying to make sure that I’m not being really thick! 

Comments

• greatcrested
    greatcrested Posts: 5,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

E6 -
    There is a safety concern with the front and rear door. The glazing has no markings to indicate toughened or laminated safety glass is present. This is a safety risk and the glazing should be replaced. I’m presuming new doors fix this which we were planning on anyway! 
    Thousands of propeties have glazing like this. If you have kids who might run into and smash the glass, change it after you own.
    F4 -
    The floor tiles in the ground floor may contain asbestos. Before commencing any work on suspected asbestos containing materials a risk assessment should be undertaken. The only one that I thought may incur a larger cost, our plan is to essentially rip out the whole kitchen and start again anyway, so presuming we get someone to remove the asbestos safely the problem is fixed. 
    Only a problem if there IS asbestos and if you DO rip it out. But you certainly can't rengotiate purchase price on the possibility it's there, and on your own future plans. Just bear it in mind if/when you renovate
    F9 -
    The property has no smoke alarms or carbon monoxide alarms. Condition rating 3. This is considered a safety risk. Get some and this fixes this
    £20 for alarms.
    G1 - 
    The electrical installation has modern safety devices and I found no obvious defects and while no repairs appear necessary, I have not been provided with a test certificate. Further investigation by a registered electrician is now required.
    The number of socket outlets is below modern standards and there is a risk of overloading the sockets that are present. The sockets are all single sockets which we were planning on replacing with double anyway. I presume we also just have an electrician come round and say yep everything looks ok and safe? 
    Why waste money on an electrician before buying. Indications are it's safe ('modern safety devices'). If you are renovating/want to add sockets, that's a future cost to bear in mind.
    G2 - 
    Gas is supplied from the mains. The meter is located in an outside meter box.
    I saw no areas of concern, however, I do not know if there is a current test certificate for the installation. Presuming we get solicitor to see if there is one, if not we get it checked over by gas engineer? 
    Your choice. Age of boiler?
    Sounds like an excellent report.
  • Ah fantastic! I was really anxious about receiving this ‘list’ of things that needed to be done! We will be renovating the majority of the property anyway! 
  • coachman12
    coachman12 Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    What a really good report. Nothing to worry about and little or no expense for you. Be careful with the asbestos possibility if you carry out any works. Otherwise enjoy your survey report and your new home.
  • Thank you! There obviously were some other things to look out for on the survey, nothing again to be worried about too much. A window to be replaced/a bit of old woodwork requiring ‘redecoration’ all things we would do naturally anyway. Hoping our searches come back soon without any problems so we can get in the place and get going! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback