We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
FTB- in chain with someone buying new build...
sambam67
Posts: 41
Forumite
Right here goes!
So I found my dream home in July, placed offer and accepted few days later. Applied with broker to one lender.. they took almost 40 working days to inform me I had being declined. Applied to second lender and was approved last Wednesday. Paid for searches the following day and these were instructed. Now here comes to key problem...
The vendors text me on Monday night asking if I was able to exchange on 02/11 giving me 7 days. Explained that due to searches only being placed, this is highly unlikely. They informed me that they are moving into new build and their builder has asked for exchanges to be complete by that date other wise they will lose their house. According to my solicitor, one of my searches is back, waiting on Local and Drainage.
The vendors text me on Monday night asking if I was able to exchange on 02/11 giving me 7 days. Explained that due to searches only being placed, this is highly unlikely. They informed me that they are moving into new build and their builder has asked for exchanges to be complete by that date other wise they will lose their house. According to my solicitor, one of my searches is back, waiting on Local and Drainage.
Has anyone got any positives to shed if they had/have being in this situation. I’m so worried that both myself and vendors are going to lose our houses.
Thanks.
First time buyer with TSB
0
Comments
-
Developers/builders rarely carry out that threatI am not a cat (But my friend is)2
-
Oh really. I hope so!! Just seems silly when they have a perfectly good buyer there, who due to Covid, things have delayed.. I’m sure I’ll find out soon enough. Thanks for the response @Alter_egoFirst time buyer with TSB0
-
Since when does them having to exchange on the new build meaning you have to! There buying a new build which everyone knows is 28 days to exchange and if they can’t trust that your going to come through with the sale then that’s there problem.1
-
Ahhh.. well I did wonder this to be honest.. thanks for this. I’m hoping their solicitor will tell them that they are still able to exchange without me.. I should only be 1 week or 2 behind. But if I’m honest, I aren’t happy to exchange without an official completion date. Am I allowed to say this?Carl2510 said:Since when does them having to exchange on the new build meaning you have to! There buying a new build which everyone knows is 28 days to exchange and if they can’t trust that your going to come through with the sale then that’s there problem.First time buyer with TSB0 -
If there waiting for there sale to complete for the money then they should sell the house first then reserve a property.sambam67 said:
Ahhh.. well I did wonder this to be honest.. thanks for this. I’m hoping their solicitor will tell them that they are still able to exchange without me.. I should only be 1 week or 2 behind. But if I’m honest, I aren’t happy to exchange without an official completion date. Am I allowed to say this?Carl2510 said:Since when does them having to exchange on the new build meaning you have to! There buying a new build which everyone knows is 28 days to exchange and if they can’t trust that your going to come through with the sale then that’s there problem.0 -
A developer likes to issue this 28 day exchange deadline to a potential purchaser. It rarely happens that quickly. The developer likes to see that the buyer is a serious purchaser and that they are making every attempt to progress the transaction. Ultimately, the purchaser of the new build could split the chain, but I assume they are relying on the proceeds of their sale to put towards their purchase. Just keep reiterating that you are happy to work towards their timescale, but that some things are out of your control.1
-
Builders like their buyers to exchange early but without a specific completion date (as they can't guarantee when the new build will be ready). That is your vendor's problem, it shouldn't become yours. Make very sure that you are not going to be hanging on for months awaiting notice to complete.It's not difficult!
'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
'Wonder' - to feel curious.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.7K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards