Lenovo computer failure

in Techie Stuff
11 replies 246 views
Hi I wonder if anyone can help.  I recently bought a desktop from Lenovo (August 2020).  It was good for a week and then the black screen appeared.  I tried to phone Lenovo and kept being cut off, I tried to email them but the email was sent back repeatedly as they were experiencing alot of emails.  In the end I took it to a local repair shop.  The hard drive had failed and it cost me £125 for a new one.  The computer works fine now but Lenovo says that because I took it to a repair shop that invalidates the warranty.  Having looked at Trust pilot reviews I am glad I did not send it back and I used our local IT repair shop.  Have I got any chance of getting my £125 back I wonder?

Replies

• You should be querying your local IT shop why they charged £125. I'd have thought £50 plus the cost of the new drive. Did they reinstall Windows? Did they reinstall all your apps/programs?
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    20.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Write nice letter to Lenovo   and they may bung you a few quid .
    its normal for non manufacturer repairs to void warranty .
  • debitcardmayhemdebitcardmayhem Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Where did you buy it? you should have contacted them first
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖
  • tallmansixtallmansix Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Have you kept the faulty hard drive so you can send it to Lenovo as the proof of the claim?
    YNAB enthusiast and extreme coupon-er.
    Discounts, coupons and cashback:
    2019 = £1,443.52
    2020 = £1,191,76
  • Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    verbena12 said:
    Hi I wonder if anyone can help.  I recently bought a desktop from Lenovo (August 2020).  It was good for a week and then the black screen appeared.  I tried to phone Lenovo and kept being cut off, I tried to email them but the email was sent back repeatedly as they were experiencing alot of emails.  In the end I took it to a local repair shop.  The hard drive had failed and it cost me £125 for a new one.  The computer works fine now but Lenovo says that because I took it to a repair shop that invalidates the warranty.  Having looked at Trust pilot reviews I am glad I did not send it back and I used our local IT repair shop.  Have I got any chance of getting my £125 back I wonder?

If you bought it directly from Lenovo your warranty would have been with them and they would have got the machine back up and running at no charge to you.  You didn't need to pay anything.  Your £125 is almost certainly lost.  Unless it was a much bigger drive than you had already, you've probably been overcharged for that too unfortunately.  Lenovo almost certainly won't refund you for an expense you didn't need to make in the first place I'm sorry to say.
  • qaasimqaasim Forumite
    16 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    There is next to no chance of getting your money back. Definitely should have gone to Lenovo in the first place.

At least it is all working now!
  • Agree with the above. You just had to keep trying customer service until you got through - or if that didn't work Twitter works wonders for complaints!

£125 seems a lot for a hard drive but I do know local services cost a lot to repair laptops, my local one charged me over £100 for a hard drive and reinstallation of Windows (and it was only 500Gb HDD!), I should have bought my own drive and got them to install it/install windows! 

I doubt you'd be able to get your money back from Lenovo I'm afraid.
  • toxejep219toxejep219 Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post Photogenic
    Contact Your Buyer First.
  • aa Forumite
    238 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'd have thought £50 plus the cost of the new drive. Did they reinstall Windows? Did they reinstall all your apps/programs?
    Would have thought £50 for a 500gb ssd (£25 for a rust spinner), but that is cost price and all business mark up their spares. Another 50 to spend 45 mins to install windows, then another 3 hours for updates. + vat is £120. Possibly they installed lenovo drivers and other software? 

Yeh, if you have the skills an the capability and time we all could cut a lot of overheads from our lives, like baking
    your own bread, diy car repairs, and not buying into companies like Apple who have no real interest in your device being fixed, prefer you just keep purchasing new premium items, to help prop up the company and eard record dividends.

Sharon87, many garages will cut their rates if you supply the car parts and tell them what to fix. They just get a menial member of staff to bolt it on and then walk away. Perhaps there is a lesson in this for IT?
  • edited 2 November 2020 at 8:25AM
    Enterprise_1701CEnterprise_1701C Forumite
    23.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    edited 2 November 2020 at 8:25AM
    I am having an ongoing conversation with Lenovo about the lack of battery runtime.  Started off on email, slow to respond.  Went to FB private messaging, still not satisfied.  They responded well but they seem to think there is no problem.  Currently going through Resolver, they are late on responding (late as per the time line they set).  I suspect they thought I would just go away, but I feel I have a point to make, this battery in the specs was meant to be up to 5 hours, and they seem to think that it is satisfactory that it gives 2 hours on low draw activities.  I have had three other laptops, each used the same way, and the other three came close to the maximum battery run time when I used them.  

I think the key is patience, I have no intention of giving up until I run out of options.  It is not fit for purpose, and I have to use the 5 year old HP that it was supposed to be replacing (it is very slow) when a decent battery is needed.  
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare