Options

Comments

• Mickey666
    Mickey666 Posts: 2,834 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Comms69 said:
    flossy2 said:
    With regards to criminal activity etc it's all good. Definitely no skeletons in the closet only a debt I am a year off clearing and was hoping that he didn't have to know about. What is it about debt that makes us feel so ashamed?
    Well manageable debt is nothing to be ashamed off - literally 90% of homeowners have a staggering but manageable debt.

Yes, but mortgage debt is slightly different to 'normal' debt in that the owner's overall net worth can cover the amount owed.  One way to think of it is whether a debt could be paid off on demand.

As for the security clearance thing, I'd say that honesty would be the best policy - mainly because the checking authority will almost certainly be able to find the answers if they delve deeply enough and being discovered to be lying might well be worse that whatever is being lied about.

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mickey666 said:
    Comms69 said:
    flossy2 said:
    With regards to criminal activity etc it's all good. Definitely no skeletons in the closet only a debt I am a year off clearing and was hoping that he didn't have to know about. What is it about debt that makes us feel so ashamed?
    Well manageable debt is nothing to be ashamed off - literally 90% of homeowners have a staggering but manageable debt.

Yes, but mortgage debt is slightly different to 'normal' debt in that the owner's overall net worth can cover the amount owed.  One way to think of it is whether a debt could be paid off on demand.

As for the security clearance thing, I'd say that honesty would be the best policy - mainly because the checking authority will almost certainly be able to find the answers if they delve deeply enough and being discovered to be lying might well be worse that whatever is being lied about.

a mortgage cannot be demanded on a whim so its not that different
  • Mickey666
    Mickey666 Posts: 2,834 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Comms69 said:
    Mickey666 said:
    Comms69 said:
    flossy2 said:

Yes, I know that, it was a 'thought experiment'.   My point was that a mortgagor has the means to repay the mortgage debt, if necessary, from the value of the house.  Whereas, someone with a, say,  £10k CC debt probably doesn't have the means pay to it off in one lump.  Hence the 'net worth' point.  I'd far rather be in debt to a mortgage company than a CC company.

• Comms69
    Options
    Mickey666 said:
    Comms69 said:
    Mickey666 said:
    Comms69 said:
    flossy2 said:

Yes, I know that, it was a 'thought experiment'.   My point was that a mortgagor has the means to repay the mortgage debt, if necessary, from the value of the house.  Whereas, someone with a, say,  £10k CC debt probably doesn't have the means pay to it off in one lump.  Hence the 'net worth' point.  I'd far rather be in debt to a mortgage company than a CC company.

Plenty of people could well have assets (eg a house) which would cover the CC debt - so their 'net worth' is higher than their debt. Again there is no difference inherently between the two. 
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Don't underestimate how much the vetting agency will now already, I've known people fail as they admitted in the interview that they had cheated on their partner and refused to tell the partner, their finances were quite precarious too. 
    I've also heard of others that have been asked why and who they were meeting at a bar on a certain night. 

Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • flossy2
    Options
    Will he have the option to tell them about it now after he has submitted his form? Can you update details?
  • Comms69
    Options
    Don't underestimate how much the vetting agency will now already, I've known people fail as they admitted in the interview that they had cheated on their partner and refused to tell the partner, their finances were quite precarious too. 
    I've also heard of others that have been asked why and who they were meeting at a bar on a certain night. 

Anything you can be blackmailed about is basically an auto fail for many roles. 
  • Sanne
    Sanne Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

That depends on the level of clearance though - clearance at SC level for example won’t have an interview while I’ve heard the same stories from colleagues who were cleared at DV level... 

@flossy - here’s a list of what’s checked at each level, it also details checking partner’s finances etc.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/united-kingdom-security-vetting-clearance-levels/national-security-vetting-clearance-levels
  • techwatcher
    Options

Not admitting something major until interview stage will not go down well as it shows you have hidden something.
    I suspect someone may be spinning you a yarn about the bar story though; surveillance is NOT part of the vetting process for any of the security clearance levels.
  • Comms69
    Options

Not admitting something major until interview stage will not go down well as it shows you have hidden something.
    I suspect someone may be spinning you a yarn about the bar story though; surveillance is NOT part of the vetting process for any of the security clearance levels.
    Unless ofcourse the person they were meeting was under surveillance...!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback