edited 12 December 2020 at 4:08PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Hi

A bit of advice

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 October 2020 at 11:26AM
    You need to tell him about it so that he can include it on the forms. They are not worried about it providing you are managing it. 
    Not declaring it could be an obstacle to your partner getting clearance as they can find out about it anyway and a hidden debt is more of a security risk as it has blackmail potential.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Security clearance is exactly about this kind of thing - how would pressures in your life affect the likelihood of you accepting a bribe. 

In fact it's possible to have security clearence and a criminal record longer than most. 
  • AskAsk
    AskAsk Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    flossy2 said:
    Thanks for that.
    Is it highly likely they will delve into my history aswell? 
    if they have asked for your history, then more than likely they may ask further questions.  best be upfront as it may turn out to be nothing.  but if you try to hide it and they find out, it makes things worse as it then shows you are a liar and can not be trusted.
  • Comms69
    flossy2 said:
    Thanks for that.
    Is it highly likely they will delve into my history aswell? 
    Almost certainly. 
  • Comms69
    flossy2 said:
    Thanks everyone. Best bite the bullet. 
    Ensure you disclose any criminal links (e.g. mum's in prison) as well. 
  • With regards to criminal activity etc it's all good. Definitely no skeletons in the closet only a debt I am a year off clearing and was hoping that he didn't have to know about. What is it about debt that makes us feel so ashamed?
  • Comms69
    flossy2 said:
    With regards to criminal activity etc it's all good. Definitely no skeletons in the closet only a debt I am a year off clearing and was hoping that he didn't have to know about. What is it about debt that makes us feel so ashamed?
    Well manageable debt is nothing to be ashamed off - literally 90% of homeowners have a staggering but manageable debt.

• This is true. It was 10k two years ago and I've managed to half it and finances are better now so I'm overpaying it and will never allow myself to get into debt again.
    Thanks for your help guys. Much appreciated
  • AskAsk
    AskAsk Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    flossy2 said:
    This is true. It was 10k two years ago and I've managed to half it and finances are better now so I'm overpaying it and will never allow myself to get into debt again.
    Thanks for your help guys. Much appreciated
    there are more people like you than you think.  having debts is not unusual at all.  being bankrupt is when it really gets you as that then is pretty serious.
  • LE3
    LE3 Posts: 612 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How deep they delve depends which level of clearance he needs, but any dishonesty that is later uncovered will raise a red flag! Even things like past criminal records aren't necessarily a barrier to getting a security check, as long as you are up front about it. 
    (I'd probably approach it with the assumption he knew ages ago but had forgotten about it  - "you did list my xx loan as well didn't you - I just checked & there is ££ still outstanding")
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback