Scared To Loose My Job Over Amount Of Sickness Over 2 Years Help

Options
My family member tested postive for cronovirs on 23rd october only found out last night and been in work scared to tell my bosses because am already in the red and my sick score is to point where they can get rid of me and if i have to self islate am going to face the sack. Feel like might have to force myself to work in order to protect my job any advice?

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you live with this family member then you will need to self isolate for 14 days. If you develop symptoms then you will need to geta test. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/when-to-self-isolate-and-what-to-do/

• gary83
    gary83 Posts: 905 Forumite
    Options
    I think your idea to carry on working regardless & not telling them someone you live with has tested positive is a terrible idea. If I was you I’d think through the consequences of not telling them:

your employer would be more annoyed by your behaviour if you continue to work after being told to self isolate knowing that someone you live with has tested positive for the virus & this leads to more people at the workplace catching it. this would impact the business with a lot more people being off sick & the potential for a bad news story in the local press if the outbreak at the site is significant rather than you just being sensible. Other than that you rightfully wouldn’t be very popular with your colleagues (who might have vulnerable people in their bubble) should you decide to keep quiet and potentially expose them & their contacts to the virus. Finally, to be frank there’s a reason we had to introduce a fine for those that refuse to self isolate, if you decide not to bother when you should then I hope you get stung with one. 
  • kayvg
    kayvg Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Have you checked your companies policy around how self isolation/sickness due to coronavirus will be treated? Many employers are discounting this type of sickness from any triggers as to not encourage employees to come in when they have symptoms or should be isolating. It is not a legal requirement but worth checking. Also I am not sure what role you do, but is there the option to work from home or use some annual leave/unpaid leave instead if they do count it towards your sickness triggers?

I know you have received some judgemental replies but I can appreciate it is scary times, redundancy is at an all time high and the thought of potentially losing your job right now is a scary prospect. But honestly most employers understand this and the best thing you can do is have an honest conversation with your line manager about what has happened and what your concerns are.

Hope this helps.

• Aranyani
    Aranyani Posts: 817 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Your family member has an actual positive test, so your boss will know that your need to isolate is genuine. 
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I suspect that wont actually stop some unscrupulous bosses from showing staff the door.
  • kayvg
    kayvg Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I suspect that wont actually stop some unscrupulous bosses from showing staff the door.
    Perhaps not, but then they can potentially risk disability discrimination if someone ends up with long covid which has been given disability status
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is a greater risk of losing your job if you continue to attend work when you should be self-isolating
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    edited 29 October 2020 at 1:14PM
    Options
    OP, do you actually live in the same household as your 'family member'? If not, when did you last see them?
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • superbigal
    superbigal Posts: 601 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 October 2020 at 1:09PM
    Options
    My family member tested postive for cronovirs on 23rd october only found out last night

The timeline above "throws me" into assuming they do not live with said member. They have just found out on the 27th which is 4 days after the result of the test.

If this is the case then you only have to isolate by law if contract tracing get in touch.

Unless they do not talk to each other !!  Or they mean the test was taken 23rd and results took 4 days !!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback