Cat urine/spray on chipboard

Options
Hi all.
Any advice on trying to remove the smell off cat urine/spray from the chipboards? I have recently moved in and noticed the smell so i pulled up the carpet and all the underlay but the smell was still there. The skirting board plus grippers was rotten in this corner plus the bottom of the architrave which i have now removed. 
I was thinking of trying jeyes fluid and sealing with BINS? - or should i replace the boards? how much would this cost and what damage might come of it?

Thanks

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Are you meaning the chipboard flooring ?  I'm guessing that it's just a small area that's been contaminated ?  If so, I'd just replace the contaminated board(s).  If you over-wet chipboard it tends to break down anyway.  You'll be looking at something like a tenner a board, and it's an easy DIY job to replace.  The only thing to be careful of is to watch where you screw the new board down - don't screw into a pipe or cable or anything.  But when you've removed the old board, you'll be able to easily see if there's anything underneath to be wary of.  For the small cost and effort involved, I'd just replace the affected boards.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 October 2020 at 9:46AM
    Options
    Are you meaning the chipboard flooring ?  I'm guessing that it's just a small area that's been contaminated ?  If so, I'd just replace the contaminated board(s).  If you over-wet chipboard it tends to break down anyway.  You'll be looking at something like a tenner a board, and it's an easy DIY job to replace.  The only thing to be careful of is to watch where you screw the new board down - don't screw into a pipe or cable or anything.  But when you've removed the old board, you'll be able to easily see if there's anything underneath to be wary of.  For the small cost and effort involved, I'd just replace the affected boards.
    I had squeaky chipboard board. It was driving me mad and decided to screw it down over Christmas holidays. Punctured a HC pipe :-1: Fortunately it was a small leak which I was able to seal with blue tack!!! until B&Q opened and I could buy materials to repair the pipe.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • MattW602
    Options
    Sorry yes.. the chipboard flooring upstairs. Its the corner of the room but i think the board is leading out to the landing plus runs under the wall? I'm not too confident of doing this myself so would need to pay somebody
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Try a few things first - though sodden chipboard is going to be tough.
    I'd try everything you can as it's all easy and cheap. White Vinegar will sometimes get rid of smell, add a little lemon oil to it, the acid should neturalise the alkaline salts in the urine. Dampening the area a little may help it soak in more. Rub some baking soda into the area. Use a tiny bit of water to get it to sink in.
    My neighbours cat made a beeline for my front door several times with carpet under and chipboard under that . It took a while but eventually the smell went away with all the ideas from a google search on how to kill the smell of cat urine. It might not work but worth a try while you get quotes from someone to do it. 

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport