PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Soften Butter

What is the best way to soften butter for baking without actually melting it?

Comments

• Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,124 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I leave it out of the fridge if you can and cut it into small pieces so it will soften quicker.  You can also sit it (in something) on the radiator.  If you do it in stages you can put it in the microwave using 10 second or so bursts so it softens but not melt

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Cut into pieces and put in a bowl of water - just water out of the cold tap, and leave for 15-20 minutes. It will soften and you can just pour the water away. I got this from a Mary Berry programme. 
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
    203846930 Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Thanks
    I normally leave it out overnight but I forgot yesterday when baking a sultana cake and was left trying to cream hard butter with the sugar and it took forever :(
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,215 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Brambling said:
    I leave it out of the fridge if you can and cut it into small pieces so it will soften quicker.  You can also sit it (in something) on the radiator.  If you do it in stages you can put it in the microwave using 10 second or so bursts so it softens but not melt

That's the way I do it, small pieces, microwave in short bursts but keep an eye on it

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
    203846930 Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    JIL said:
    Grate it, mixes and softens beautifully after that.
    I would not have thought of that in a hundred years 
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,690 Forumite
    JIL said:
    I think I learned it from Gordon Ramsey.  It works really well in pastry and can even be used straight from the freezer. 

Happy baking 
  • JIL said:
    JIL said:
    I think I learned it from Gordon Ramsey.  It works really well in pastry and can even be used straight from the freezer. 

Happy baking 
    I grate frozen butter and lard for shortcrust pastry because it cuts down on the rubbing in – I learnt it from Mary Berry 😃
  • goldfinches
    goldfinches Posts: 2,094 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    And I learned it from Delia Smith so evidently a well known trick of the trade. I find it very good for dumplings because it means the butter doesn't warm up too much when being rubbed into the flour; plus you can whip the butter straight out of the freezer so it's good for afterthought additions to stews IYSWIM.

Food 

Food for all is a necessity.
    Food should not be a merchandise, to be bought and sold as jewels are bought and sold by those who have the money to buy.
    Food is a human necessity, like water and air, and it should be available.

From Pearl S. Buck's To My Daughters, with Love.
  • And I think I saw it on Bake Off :smiley:
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family