Payment sent to closed/switched bank account

Hello, 
I’m a bit stuck! My work sent a payment to an old bank account which I also did a bank account switch of around 4 years ago. 
I swapped from bank of Scotland to Santander through a current account switch but my work through a US bank sent the payment to my BOS account. 
BOS and Santander are both saying they can’t see the payment, but my work are saying the payment has been completed. 
I’ve asked my work bank to do a retrack/retrace to see if they can see anything, but wonder if anyone has had anything similar getting sent to a closed account which had been switched but also who would be best to chase up?

thanks! Debbie 

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If it was coming from the US, then odds on it will go through other banks rather than straight to BOS/Santander.

Not sure that it will still transfer over from BOS to Santander given the time since the switch. As it may depend on how long since any others were redirected.
    Norm used to be 3 years.

All you can really do is as you have, ask work to do a trace & recall. 
    Life in the slow lane
  • If it was coming from the US, then odds on it will go through other banks rather than straight to BOS/Santander.

Not sure that it will still transfer over from BOS to Santander given the time since the switch. As it may depend on how long since any others were redirected.
    Norm used to be 3 years.

All you can really do is as you have, ask work to do a trace & recall. 
    Thank you, I wasn’t sure if there was a time limit on the transfer window after switching. My work are going to see if they can do a retrace but since it’s saying successfully paid they’re saying to speak to bank of Scotland! It’s just like tennis haha 
  • You must have been working for this company for quite some time, if they have details of a bank account closed four years ago. Unless this is the first time they have paid you in four years, why have they suddenly sent a payment to an old account?
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • The trace needs to originate from the original remitting bank, ie the US bank. When I worked in banking only very minor changes could be made to a swift payment, such as the change to up to two characters of the beneficiary name or account number.  Amending a payment to another bank is unlikely to get approved. The only way to resolve the query is to recall the payment to the remitters account.  Unfortunately, your employer may get back less than they sent as it is likely that the USD were converted to GBP and will be converted back to USD when returned to the USA, thereby suffering 2 exchange rate differentials, plus any fees. 

• You must have been working for this company for quite some time, if they have details of a bank account closed four years ago. Unless this is the first time they have paid you in four years, why have they suddenly sent a payment to an old account?
    Yep you’re right, it’s also partially my fault as there was a hidden section for reimbursement payout bank details that I had no idea about! Apparently the bank details bit doesn’t cover all payments.. just your wage 🤦🏻‍♀️
  • The trace needs to originate from the original remitting bank, ie the US bank. When I worked in banking only very minor changes could be made to a swift payment, such as the change to up to two characters of the beneficiary name or account number.  Amending a payment to another bank is unlikely to get approved. The only way to resolve the query is to recall the payment to the remitters account.  Unfortunately, your employer may get back less than they sent as it is likely that the USD were converted to GBP and will be converted back to USD when returned to the USA, thereby suffering 2 exchange rate differentials, plus any fees. 

Okay that’s good to know! To be honest it’s a lot of hassle and I don’t know if it’ll be fixed, thankfully it was only for £100 for working from home kit and not my wage!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback