PayPal - wrong number on account, cannot set-up/log-in to change it for PSD2, call centre no help

Replies

• Louisec83Louisec83 Forumite
    3 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I was given the call centre number 0203 3901 7000, but I’m just going around in circles the being directed to the website and then cut off! Joy! 
  • chanz4chanz4 Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just worked for me, reset your password with forgotten password, it may take a couple of times but works and lets you back in then update your number
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • thebarberthebarber Forumite
    15 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    chanz4 said:
    Just worked for me, reset your password with forgotten password, it may take a couple of times but works and lets you back in then update your number
    That doesnt work and never will it doesnt matter how many times you reset your password it will still ask you to authenticate. The thing about the warnings they sent is really irrelevant they are happy to take my money when i buy stuff online and they are happy to send text confirmations to my existing phone so why would i think i have to change anything? Also frankly their service is !!!!!!. if your going to lock someone out of their account at least provide a link for them to fix it. to offer the only 2 options as call me or text me is stupid
  • hermantehermante Forumite
    523 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    thebarber said:
    chanz4 said:
    That doesnt work and never will it doesnt matter how many times you reset your password it will still ask you to authenticate. The thing about the warnings they sent is really irrelevant they are happy to take my money when i buy stuff online and they are happy to send text confirmations to my existing phone so why would i think i have to change anything? Also frankly their service is !!!!!!. if your going to lock someone out of their account at least provide a link for them to fix it. to offer the only 2 options as call me or text me is stupid
    It does work. But you have to wait a week or more before trying again if you don't get in. Also using an IP address in a different country helps.
  • jsmith9jsmith9 Forumite
    419 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I thought the whole point of PSD2 and receiving a text etc was that you couldn't log in without getting the text. I mean there would be absolutely no point whatsoever in doing it if all you had to do to circumvent it was to reset your password.
  • torncurtaintorncurtain Forumite
    69 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    jsmith9 said:
    I thought the whole point of PSD2 and receiving a text etc was that you couldn't log in without getting the text. I mean there would be absolutely no point whatsoever in doing it if all you had to do to circumvent it was to reset your password.
    Yep, except now I can't access my PP account because the PSD2 system has a failure in it. For just over 2 weeks I've been unable to use PP. I've spoken to them plenty of times now and they've not resolved the issue. I'm not sent a txt with a verification code and there's no way to get around it. They can verify who I am, they've told me that over the phone multiple times but they can't grant me access to the account. This could be a big problem for some people. 
  • jsmith9jsmith9 Forumite
    419 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Is it worth raising a complaint with FOS? They are denying you access to your funds.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    68.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    jsmith9 said:
    Yep, except now I can't access my PP account because the PSD2 system has a failure in it. For just over 2 weeks I've been unable to use PP. I've spoken to them plenty of times now and they've not resolved the issue. I'm not sent a txt with a verification code and there's no way to get around it. They can verify who I am, they've told me that over the phone multiple times but they can't grant me access to the account. This could be a big problem for some people. 
    Did you previously get texts to the correct mobile number and successfully log in? If so then I would be persistent on the phone to PayPal and insist there is possibly fraudulent behaviour on your account as it would seem someone has managed to log in and change your mobile number away from your number potentially to their own. That’s the only thing that accounts for suddenly being unable to access a mobile phone code if it has been sent to your phone. 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    69 Posts

Did you previously get texts to the correct mobile number and successfully log in? If so then I would be persistent on the phone to PayPal and insist there is possibly fraudulent behaviour on your account as it would seem someone has managed to log in and change your mobile number away from your number potentially to their own. That’s the only thing that accounts for suddenly being unable to access a mobile phone code if it has been sent to your phone. 
    Hi Soolin: Yes, I've been able to successfully log in previously with mobile number. There's no illegal activity according to them and no one has accessed my account, again according to PP (them) - because, no one can get in due to the PSD2 fault. I'm not sure where I highlighted that my mobile number has been changed over the past 2 weeks, this isn't the case. 
    69 Posts
    jsmith9 said:
    Is it worth raising a complaint with FOS? They are denying you access to your funds.
    Is FOS the Financial Ombudsmen? I'm unsure what FOS is. I would think I would have to make a formal complaint to PP in writing before being able to access the ombudsmen's help, however there's no formal way to contact PP as I can't even get into my account to access the message centre and there's no address listed anywhere that I could find. 
    I called again today, I'm still being told the same thing which is that they're sorry, not to worry and no timeline of when this will be resolved.