New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Recent NS&I experience

7 replies 344 views
lisyloolisyloo Forumite
26.7K posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭
Have searched through 1st 3 pages.

Anyone with recent experience of getting money from NS&I once probate/administration letters received.
I understood they had a backlog.

Replies

• clodagh_trubbleclodagh_trubble Forumite
    99 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper
    We started trying to get money transferred to my mum in June, so far have filled out forms twice and written two letters.  The premium bonds were returned promptly but two growth bonds remain unaccounted for, and the last things from dad's estate to be sorted.  It is a month since the last time we wrote to them and no response at all.  
  • JGB1955JGB1955 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    6 June:  my father died.
    13 June: posted off the form & death certificate to register his death with NS&I.
    3 Sept: Probate granted
    8 Sept: Grant of probate sent to NS&I
    25 Sept: outstanding interest on his Income Bond paid into my account (for June/July/Aug)
    30 Sept Income Bond capital + Sept interest received in my account - this would have arrived on 25/9 if it had been less than £50K.  It was substantially more as the proceeds of sale of his house had been lodged in the Bond in January.

I was fully expecting the whole process to be cumbersome and drawn out, so was very pleasantly surprised.  If only Equiniti were so efficient......
    #36 Saving for Christmas 2020 - £1 a day challenge.... £634/£366...
  • turquoisespiffturquoisespiff Forumite
    44 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    JGB1955 said:
    13 June: posted off the form & death certificate to register his death with NS&I.
    25 Sept: outstanding interest on his Income Bond paid into my account (for June/July/Aug)
    30 Sept Income Bond capital + Sept interest received in my account - this would have arrived on 25/9 if it had been less than £50K.  It was substantially more as the proceeds of sale of his house had been lodged in the Bond in January.

I was fully expecting the whole process to be cumbersome and drawn out, so was very pleasantly surprised.  If only Equiniti were so efficient......
    What problems have you had with Equiniti? I sent them a death cert for Dad and got a cheque through within days - not for very much though, and with no explanation for what it was. I'm now concerned I should have followed up more!
  • JGB1955JGB1955 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    What problems have you had with Equiniti? I sent them a death cert for Dad and got a cheque through within days - not for very much though, and with no explanation for what it was. I'm now concerned I should have followed up more!
    I needed to transfer BT, Centrica and National Grid shares to myself, and sell Lloyds and Royal Dutch Shell shares.  They have transferred the first set of shares but advised me to transfer the Lloyds and RDS shares before selling...but the whole process it at a snails pace, particularly when I had full POA over the shares before my father's death and now have to go through the whole ID stuff again.....  I've been told (as executor) that the Lloyds and RDS shares have been transferred... but still waiting (as transferee) for the details to sell.
    #36 Saving for Christmas 2020 - £1 a day challenge.... £634/£366...
  • turquoisespiffturquoisespiff Forumite
    44 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    JGB1955 said:
    I needed to transfer BT, Centrica and National Grid shares to myself, and sell Lloyds and Royal Dutch Shell shares.  They have transferred the first set of shares but advised me to transfer the Lloyds and RDS shares before selling...but the whole process it at a snails pace, particularly when I had full POA over the shares before my father's death and now have to go through the whole ID stuff again.....  I've been told (as executor) that the Lloyds and RDS shares have been transferred... but still waiting (as transferee) for the details to sell.
    Sounds horribly complicated. Mine was just Dad's pension so much easier to administer. The whole POA suddenly stopping is really tricky and seems strange when they've already been through the process to sort out POA but I guess better to be careful. Good luck.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • BooJewelsBooJewels Forumite
    925 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just about to post back another form they sent me to complete, which has exactly no information on it that they haven't already had 3 times - either on earlier forms, or in a letter - when they wrote asking me to confirm something.  The amount of money involved is almost certainly a lot less than it has cost them to keep writing to me over a 3 month period. 

I'm only persisting with it because I recently found that my father had bought a lot of Premium Bonds, then cashed them in 18 months later.  When my Mum passed a couple of years after this, he got very upset because he couldn't sort out hers and we're wondering if that's because he'd also bought a lot on her account and couldn't then get at it for some reason.  Very unlikely indeed, but I'm prepared to invest a couple of stamps to find out for certain.
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JGB1955 said:

Thanks. 22 days sounds good. Would be good to have it sorted.