Council Tax Struggle

Options
Hi all,
Im at my wits end and need some advice please. I’m currently living in my dads property with my young family. My partner works 10 hours a week and I look after the kids. My dad is currently in a care home and requires 24/7 care and wants to come home. We are on universal credit and my dad doesn’t have any income apart from his pension. Because his name is on the Council Tax bill and he wants to come home the council are charging full council tax (band e) which we are struggling to pay. We aren’t allowed to put our names on the council tax only if dad stayed permanently in the care home. So how come despite all of us on low income are being charged full? We have constantly tried to talk to them but they won’t help. I’m struggling with poor mental health and generally trying to keep on top of things. We just afford to pay the council tax fully as it means going without food basically. Please no judgemental comments as I feel very low and pushed into the corner. I can’t afford to move and this is the family home. TIA. 
Clara Sais - Vlogger and Mummy

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 25 October 2020 at 11:24PM
    Options
    If your dad is on a low income and has no, or little savings, he could claim Council Tax Reduction to help with the Council Tax liability. If he was claiming a disability benefit you would not be expected to contribute to the cost. If he isn’t claiming a disability benefit already he should claim Attendance Allowance if he needs frequent help to look after himself.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Poorexgirlfriend192
    Options
    I have LAsting power of attorney as dad can’t speak or write. I’ve not been given any advice re council tax help. He’s not in Attendance Allowance whilst he’s in the care home. Thank you for your advice it’s much appreciated.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not having a go but I suppose on the plus side you are living rent free? If as you say you have LPOA can't you apply for CT reduction on his behalf? If all that fails see if you can get advice from CAB. Just one other thought are you claiming all the benefits you are entitled to? check here: https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou

• calcotti
    Options
    I have LAsting power of attorney as dad can’t speak or write. I’ve not been given any advice re council tax help. He’s not in Attendance Allowance whilst he’s in the care home. Thank you for your advice it’s much appreciated.
    He would not be able to be paid AA after 28 days in a care home. Do you know if he was getting it prior to being admitted?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Poorexgirlfriend192
    Options
    Yes he was getting AA before going to care home. Yes appreciate I am living rent free but I will be caring for dad as well as my two toddlers. 
  • Poorexgirlfriend192
    Options
    Plus council can force us out if needs be
  • calcotti
    Options
    Yes he was getting AA before going to care home. Yes appreciate I am living rent free but I will be caring for dad as well as my two toddlers. 
    Which means that if he returns home you can tell DWP and AA payments will resume. As advised previously, if the CT bill is in his name then, because he gets AA, you will not be expected to contribute to it and he can get full CTR
  • pickledonionspaceraider
    Options
    Hi all,
    Im at my wits end and need some advice please. I’m currently living in my dads property with my young family. My partner works 10 hours a week and I look after the kids. My dad is currently in a care home and requires 24/7 care and wants to come home. We are on universal credit and my dad doesn’t have any income apart from his pension. Because his name is on the Council Tax bill and he wants to come home the council are charging full council tax (band e) which we are struggling to pay. We aren’t allowed to put our names on the council tax only if dad stayed permanently in the care home. So how come despite all of us on low income are being charged full? We have constantly tried to talk to them but they won’t help. I’m struggling with poor mental health and generally trying to keep on top of things. We just afford to pay the council tax fully as it means going without food basically. Please no judgemental comments as I feel very low and pushed into the corner. I can’t afford to move and this is the family home. TIA. 
    Hey - I am so sorry you are in this situation

The only idea I can think of is that some local Authorities offer a council tax discretionary scheme 

Council tax discretionary relief

Our council tax discretionary relief scheme could help you if you are struggling to pay your council tax.

Have a check on your local council website.  Apply for it and see what happens? 

Sorry i dont have more to contribute x

With love, POSR <3
  • Poorexgirlfriend192
    Options
    Thanks all. No not an easy situation but the family as a whole is not taken into consideration only dad x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure