Job Support Scheme - Using holiday leave

jakeclarke
jakeclarke Posts: 6 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 25 October 2020 at 10:48AM in Coronavirus support and help
In the governments new Job Support Scheme each employee will have to work a minimum of 20% of their normal working hours. So if I work 5 days a week & my employer puts me on this new JSS scheme and says I shall only work the minimum then that means I will work 1 day out of the normal 5, every week.
But neither I or my employer can find the answer to this question.

The day I actually 'work' under this new scheme (1day/20%) can I use my paid holiday on this day instead of actually working it?

Because we all earn paid holiday leave as we work (even on furlough)  and are all still entitled to it. And whether we physically work that day or have paid leave it is still paid for 100% by my employer so I don't see why it would go against the governments JSS scheme guidelines. All they mention is the employee needs to work 20% of their usual hours.

Comments

• I have been searching for an answer to this as well. It seems the government hasn't posted any details about it yet which is ridiculous. My partner is being asked to go on unpaid leave for 3 months when new work will be arriving. She asked her boss if she could instead use her holiday days to meet the 20% minimum to which they said they would agree but they obviously don't know if it's possible. They better publish the guidelines soon as time is running out for many people.
  • Jeremy535897
    Jeremy535897 Posts: 10,427 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The guidance is not clear on the subject. Training does count as hours worked, but we will not know the answer on holidays until further guidance is published.
  • Ash_Pole
    Ash_Pole Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I came here to ask the same question, I thought I must be missing something.
  • A business I know has said they're going ahead with allowing employees to use holidays to cover the 20% minimum. The government haven't confirmed but like op said the employer pays for holiday or the worked hours in full anyway.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback