Don't know where to start

Options
Hi MSE
I am 53 years old and in a bit of a mess financially. I will try and be as honest as possible in order to (hopefully) get some good advise.
I have a good job with a salary of £58k. As I have a company car and salary sacrifice vehicle my take home pay is around £2600
I rent my home because I have previously been bankrupt and also had a DRO.
I have a pension of around £50k which to be honest I can't even remember setting up but I get a statement every year so I must have.
I am scared stiff about the future and really don't know who to talk to about my situation.
I have been reckless with money in the past but better now.
Do I see a financial planner or debt advisor who can help me formulate some sort of plan?
I honestly don't know which way to turn and would appreciate some advise as to where to start.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• NottinghamKnight
    Options
    Do you have any existing debts currently? If so generate a statement of affairs and post on the debt free board.
    If you are debt free then a statement of affairs may help determining where you are spending your money. That must be one hell of a car as it's costing you a bomb, first thing is to save money in that and divert into savings, investments and pension. 
  • dae14867
    dae14867 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The cars are costing me a fortune, one is a company car and costing £300+ month and the other a salary sacrifice vehicle for my wife which is £400 month. The latter is coming to an end in April.
  • whitesmith
    whitesmith Posts: 239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 October 2020 at 10:35PM
    Options
    I think you would feel a lot better if you could talk to someone about your situation, and not necessarily just financial. I would recommend you give the Samaritans a call - you would be surprised how just having a chat on the phone for an hour or so on how you are feeling will help. And no, you do not have to feel suicidal to call.

Take things slowly and try not to worry. there is a lot of help out there and maybe others can suggest other places to go.
  • RetSol
    RetSol Posts: 531 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Great advice, @whitesmith.  Reason to be cheerful.. right now, you are on a good salary, @dae14867.  Don't panic.  Let the future take care of itself - with a little help from MSE. 
  • dae14867
    dae14867 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you @whitesmith @RetSol
  • whitesmith
    Options
    At some point, you could go onto the debt-free wannaba board where there will be a lot of help and advice on the financial side.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback